We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Insecticide spray on board before take off

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Insecticide spray on board before take off

Last oct. 11, I was flying back to Zurich from New Delhi, by Swiss flight nbr. LX147. Without any previous notice, once all passengers were on board and aircraft's doors closed, we've been informed that the staff would have sprayed the cabin with a not identified insecticide, accordingly to government rule and for security reasons. As I'm an alergical person I've asked wich were the components of the spray and the cheef hostess told me she did not know. They did not have any protective mask on board. She also told me that it was an obbligation for them to spray the aircraft as the Indian Governament states so. I had the most unpleasant flight of my life. I sent a complaint to Swiss customer service dept.and as an answer I've got an extract of the Indian Government Ministry of Home Affairs Health regulation where it is not stated at all that aircrafts must be desinfected before taking off any of the airport on indian territory. I've sent another mail pointing it out to Swiss Customer Service employee, Mr. Hugo Landetta, asking him more explanations and most of all the components of the spray that has been used. That was on oct. 22nd and I did not get any new back since then. A part from being very disapponted for the behaviour of Swiss C.S. my question is: is this procedure legal? I mean: is it legal to spray a closed aircraft with an unidentified insecticide without warning the passengers by previuos notice? Because in the case it is legal, I think that some action should be taken to protect passenger's health. Susanna Baldo, Tour Leader

Sunshine Coast...
Level Contributor
2,872 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
51. Re: Insecticide spray on board before take off

AV James - seriously???

You are supposedly from Brisbane so I find it hard to believe you don't use insect spray in and around your own home. Do you also find that "completely humiliating"?

UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
Level Contributor
4,941 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
52. Re: Insecticide spray on board before take off

If anyone thinks that spraying pesticides in an enclosed space s harmless then have a read of this link to various items on the subject.i

It took me a minute to find it and it speaks to many if the concerns raised already.

Pesticides are hazardous to health especially long term exposure as in Cabin Crew.

Does anyone believe that there is a pesticide that is deadly to insects but is somehow unharmful to humans?

There are alternative methods available to keep insects out of aircraft

Take a browse around the links in here and you may have a rethink.

ashsd.afacwa.org/…

Edited: 26 November 2013, 07:19
London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
53. Re: Insecticide spray on board before take off

I have to say I am quite shocked, genuinely,that someone would react that way and not take two mins to google it and find out why, it's done ie to stop the spread of malaria, yellow fever etc from one country where it's prevalent to another where it's not, and that it's required by both WHO and the CAA.

I've lost count of the amount of times I have been on a plane as it's been disinfected, not once did I think it was about me, not once did I feel humiliated or someone was saying I was dirty, no different than if I went to some establishment and saw a fly strip,,,I would not think, gosh they must think I attract flies, how humiliating is that.

That reaction is so weird and over the top, it's concerning.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
54. Re: Insecticide spray on board before take off

Does anyone believe that there is a pesticide that is deadly to insects but is somehow unharmful to humans?

-------

Yes. DDT for example. Insects have very different physiology and there are many substances that have entirely different effects on mammals and insects.

UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
Level Contributor
4,941 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
55. Re: Insecticide spray on board before take off

Pesticides are " safe" and "not toxic"????

Who says so ?

The Airlines

And who believes them.

They are hardly likely to inform a captive audience that they are about to be sprayed with a toxic substance.

So somebody says its safe and most people , even savvy travellers on this thread believe them.

Well done to the OP for raising it.

And just because it costs the airline a few bucks for a few cans of sprays don't fall for the "it must be necessary or they wouldn't do it"

Its cheaper to spray passengers and the plane than introduce non harmful methods.

There are alternatives

Don't accept the status quo just because someone says its safe, they would wouldn't they?

UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
Level Contributor
4,941 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
56. Re: Insecticide spray on board before take off

DDT?

Not harmful to humans?

Then why is its use banned throughout the world?

It gets into food stuffs such as fruit.

panna.org/issues/…the-ddt-story

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,337 posts
1,081 reviews
Save Reply
57. Re: Insecticide spray on board before take off

>> Well done to the OP for raising it. <<

Over a year ago . . . and has never returned. Of course not.

This thread has been amusing and interesting but if some posters insist upon stating overblown political claptrap about this legally required practice, expect the thread to be soon closed :-(

UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
Level Contributor
4,941 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
58. Re: Insecticide spray on board before take off

Overblown political claptrap?

Hardly an informed contribution

Just when some others views are being dicscussed you threaten to stifle debate?

Have a read of some evidence.even the World Health Organisation doesn't think its that effective and is often carried out I effectively.

Like with the overhead lockers shut.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
31,612 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
59. Re: Insecticide spray on board before take off

I've not seen any flights sprayed before leaving India, and I've departed India on United, Lufthansa, Jet Airways, Malaysia and Thai.

I have been on flights INTO India, operated by Indian carriers that have been sprayed (Jet from BKK and the sadly lamented Kingfisher from HKG), but not flights from Europe or the USA, nor Thai from BKK. In both cases there was an announcement beforehand, and the spraying was done straight up vertical to the cabin ceiling, very quickly.

I agree with GOPBI. Airlines would not do this unless there were some statutory or government regulation requiring it. So I wouldn't blame the airline(s).

Edited: 26 November 2013, 08:09
London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
60. Re: Insecticide spray on board before take off

Seriously, people should research this before commenting.

It's mandated by the caa and the who, the insecticides are tested and confirmed safe by the WHO. Not the dot for goodness sake.

There is a minuscule risk of an allergic or other reaction in a tiny, tiny amount of pax, but this risk is not life threatening, unlike the diseases they are controlling the spread of.

Debate is fine, but at least do it based on facts.