We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One Way Travel Purchasing 2 tickets.

AudiCard
Level Contributor
27 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
One Way Travel Purchasing 2 tickets.

I have a question about one way travel tickets. I searched and didn't find anybody with this particular question. Can I purchase 2 tickets for a one way ticket? For example: Buy a ticket to my first destination(i.e a larger airport) then buy a second ticket for a flight that leaves that same airport to my final destination.

Is this legal? I don't see a problem with as I'm paying for the tickets.

Does it matter that my final destination is international?

Edited: 05 November 2012, 07:36
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
13,599 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One Way Travel Purchasing 2 tickets.

Airlines would be fine with that (and it certainly isn't illegal). Just be aware that they have no obligation to get you to your final destination if you miss your connection. Most likely you would be asked to buy a new ticket at walk-up price. So do leave plenty of time between flights (and even then you'll have no guarantees).

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
29,649 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One Way Travel Purchasing 2 tickets.

As Lex says, there's no problem as far as the airlines are concerned. BUT, as these are separate tickets, if you fail to show for check in, bag drop or boarding for flight 2, you'll be classed as a no show, lose the ticket and have to buy a new one at the (likely very expensive) walk up fare.

The fact that flight 1 being delayed would have no bearing at all. And, the default for separate tickets is that your bags are NOT through checked, so you'd quite likely have to get them from baggage claim and then proceed to bag drop.

So, very risky. If you choose this option, build an enormous amount of contingency into your plans.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One Way Travel Purchasing 2 tickets.

Is this legal? I don't see a problem with as I'm paying for the tickets.

======

Of course it is ! Why would it not be? People have to get to airports somehow !

The problem is, its very risky unless you allow a very large gap between scheduled arrival and scheduled departure, such as overnight. Especially if the second leg is international which I presume equates to, a high priced ticket.

For example, lets say you book A-B, and B-C, with a 4 hour gap.

What will you do if later on the schedules for these flights change so there is now no gap, or not enough of one to get off the first flight, collect your luggage, take it to checkin, checkin again? Be aware that the second airline wont be interested in why you missed the flight, you'll just have forfeited your ticket, and the first airline has no liability for your loss on the second. Or on the day of the flight, the first airline flight is seriously delayed and you miss your second flight. Again, there is no liability for the first airline, so your expensive second ticket is forfeit.

Why dont you give more detail on what you are trying to accomplish. For example, are these truly one way flights, eg you are flying abroad never to return?

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
12,610 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One Way Travel Purchasing 2 tickets.

Oooooooh - the risk averseness of people here really amuses me. We do this ALL THE TIME. And have never had a problem. Yes we allow enough time between flights to cover most contingencies. But really what are you all so frightened of??

Very often for us the airlines just dont connect in a reasonabe enough l way for us to fly on one ticket anyway,Or if they do either the price or the schedule is ridiculous.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
29,649 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One Way Travel Purchasing 2 tickets.

^^^^ Well then you're lucky. Plenty of issues raised on here from pax who lost their onward ticket and had to buy a new one.

And, of course there's the point that if one of the airlines changes its schedule meaning you can't make the next flight, you have no recourse.

What's the chances of these happening? I'd say slim, but would you like to be the unlucky guy having to fork out thousands for a one way walk up international flight?

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One Way Travel Purchasing 2 tickets.

But really what are you all so frightened of??

======

Errrmmm .... Losing many thousands of dollars/pounds/whatever your currency is???

The tone of the OPs post implies someone with next to no experience whatsoever of air travel, dont you think they should be appraised of the risks?

Its not as if its theoretical, there are many posts here from naive and not so naive people who lost out big time in this way. MIght only be a minority of travellers, but when it does happen its usually a significant sum of money.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
13,599 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: One Way Travel Purchasing 2 tickets.

"the risk averseness of people here really amuses me. We do this ALL THE TIME."

I do it as well from time to time. Nothing wrong with it, as long as people are aware of the risks. I don't think anyone meant to imply otherwise.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
12,610 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: One Way Travel Purchasing 2 tickets.

<<The tone of the OPs post implies someone with next to no experience whatsoever of air travel, dont you think they should be appraised of the risks?>>

Yes - but not in the oh so scary tone used here. And I note this is an ongoing attitude on this forum.

This year alone we have taken 2 international trips booked on separate one way tickets. First one was ADL to POM. We flew to Brisbane with Virgin , stayed overnight then flew to POM the next morning with Air Nuigini. saved $100s than if we had booked through with Qantas on a through (code shared ticket) plus we still would have had to stay o/night in Bris.

Second flights are both with Qantas . But one fully paid, the other using FF points. Fly Queenstown NZ to SYD on one ticket -then SYD - ADL on another. We have a only a couple of hours in SYD - but pretty sure if there is a problem QF will put us on the second (domestic ) flight without penalty.

Next year flying to Kalispell Montana. First flight form MEL to HNL with Jetstar. 2nd flight to Kalispell with Delta. We have 13 hours in HNL. Booking this way saved around $2000 for 2 people. Some of us are happier to take the very small risk of missing a flight vs paying $1000’s more than necessary to fly.

IN 2007 flying form LAX to SYD our QF flight was unable to land due to fog – and we were sent to Bris to sit on the tarmac for an hour before flying back to SYD. . We missed our Virgin flight to ADL. Virgin put us on the next available at no cost. So it is not always true to say you will have to buy a new ticket either.

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: One Way Travel Purchasing 2 tickets.

I have done that - and got badly 'burnt'.

First time l left plenty of time between 2 flights. Too much it turned out. I could have been re-booked on an earlier flight if there had been available seats.

Second time I booked an earlier onward flight. The 1st inward flight was delayed due to engine problems so I missed my onward connection and had to pay EUR 500 to re-book.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,596 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: One Way Travel Purchasing 2 tickets.

< Oooooooh - the risk averseness of people here really amuses me >

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g1-i10702-k58806…

Would you book a 2 hour transit on separate tickets when the cost of missing the onward flight would be in the thousands - if not then how long should you allow between such flights?