We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

6ft3 and made to go British Airways for 11-13hrs!

UK
Level Contributor
138 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
6ft3 and made to go British Airways for 11-13hrs!

So after trying to reason with my girlfriend that EVA, Thai, Emirates, Etihad etc are all just as safe as BA i have lost the battle and am now resigned to a British Airways flight.

We will be flying from London to Bangkok on there "trusty" 747.

My GF is only 5ft4 so she will be fine but I will fair much worse i am sure.

Apart from upgrading to rip-off WT+ is there anything i can do to make sure it is as comfortable as possible?

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,826 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 6ft3 and made to go British Airways for 11-13hrs!

Pay the extra for the exit seats

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
20,089 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 6ft3 and made to go British Airways for 11-13hrs!

Unless you can get an exit row seat there is not a lot you can do apart from upgrading to WT+ - I don't see any justification for describing it as a rip-off, the price you pay and the WT+ features are clearly displayed.

You might not consider WT+ to be worth the cost but that is a totally seperate issue and does not mean it's a rip-off.

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
Level Contributor
20,161 posts
326 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 6ft3 and made to go British Airways for 11-13hrs!

If you've been left to book it, what's to stop you booking the airline of your preference?

Kent, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
7,578 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 6ft3 and made to go British Airways for 11-13hrs!

get a tall girlfriend who will be more understanding

UK
Level Contributor
138 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 6ft3 and made to go British Airways for 11-13hrs!

Wow so fast with your responses.

Firstly, yes i am sorry i shouldn't have said rip-off but when you consider it is £1300 for PE compared to £900 on Eva it does seem like a lot!

As for booking the exit seats, it doesn't seem like this is possible online when booking (i did a dummy booking) therefore how do i get these seats, do i need to do it 24hrs before the flight when booking online.

As for the other suggestions, well i can't book EVA or Thai and force my GF of 8 years to endure an (admintingly badly informed) ordeal. For me it is discomfort for her it is fear.

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
Level Contributor
20,161 posts
326 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 6ft3 and made to go British Airways for 11-13hrs!

How about getting her on a fear of flying course? Honestly, there is nothing to be afraid of with the other airlines you mention. They all have to pass stringent safety tests to be allowed to fly.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
13,848 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 6ft3 and made to go British Airways for 11-13hrs!

"As for booking the exit seats, it doesn't seem like this is possible online when booking (i did a dummy booking) therefore how do i get these seats, do i need to do it 24hrs before the flight when booking online."

They're released for sale 2 weeks prior to departure (I believe it's 2 weeks anyway). Prices start at £50. More info should be available on BA's website.

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
35,245 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 6ft3 and made to go British Airways for 11-13hrs!

I'm now a nervous flyer, instead of a once terrified flyer, but that goes across the board. If you're scared of flying, your scared, and that doesn't usually limit itself to specific airlines.

An exit seat is not the right place for somewhere that's got a fear of flying IMO.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
13,848 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 6ft3 and made to go British Airways for 11-13hrs!

Just to add, there's no guarantee that there will be extra legroom seats available for you since Gold status Executive Club members can pick them prior general release. Of course, you'll increase your chances of bagging them if you're ready by the computer the second they are released.

Edited: 05 November 2012, 14:55
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,255 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 6ft3 and made to go British Airways for 11-13hrs!

Firstly, yes i am sorry i shouldn't have said rip-off but when you consider it is £1300 for PE compared to £900 on Eva it does seem like a lot!

Why didn't you book Eva's premium thingy then? At £900 it can't be much more than what you paid for boggo class on BA.