We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

easyjet new system of allocated seating

MERSEYSIDE
Level Contributor
4,034 posts
111 reviews
Save Topic
easyjet new system of allocated seating

Received email today to say that we could check in online for our flights (30 days in advance)

Checked in online, for both outbound and return.

Was given the option to pay £3 per person per journey (so £12) I declined.

Two seats together both ways at no extra cost and no stress of all that speedy board malarkey.

I would not be bothered about being separated but this is so much easier and more civilised than the first come first served system

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
15,157 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: easyjet new system of allocated seating

Problem is you now have to pay if you want a seat upfront. Never paaid before and usually always got a front-row seat so personally I prefer the old system, But I realize I'm probably in a minority and in any case, it's a new revenue stream for easyJet so can see why they've introduced it.

MERSEYSIDE
Level Contributor
4,034 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: easyjet new system of allocated seating

yes front seats are extra, just not worth it in my opinion, think they were £8. I remember one time we sat at the front hoping for an early dart off the plane and when we arrived (can't remember where) they only brought steps to the back door!! Imagine that if you had paid £8 for a front seat!!!!

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
569 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: easyjet new system of allocated seating

'Problem is you now have to pay if you want a seat upfront'.

Problem is you now have to pay wherever in the cabin you want a seat (if you don't want easyJet to assign it for you).

I agree with the rest of Lex's post.

Edited: 10 November 2012, 13:42
Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
1,280 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: easyjet new system of allocated seating

The whole point of the LCC business model is to identify products and services that have value to people, and then charge for it. Menu pricing.

This is not different. As Lex notes, a new revenue stream. Until now, Lex and staroftheseas have been getting something that has value for them for free. Easyjet has identified that and decided to charge for it.

Whatever they decide to charge for, there will be people who used to get it for free who will complain.

Edited: 10 November 2012, 13:57
London, United...
Level Contributor
826 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: easyjet new system of allocated seating

Still cheaper than BA !

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
1,280 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: easyjet new system of allocated seating

"Still cheaper than BA !"

Depends on how many extras you choose to pay for. Easyjet can work out far more expensive.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
43,044 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: easyjet new system of allocated seating

This is the best thing EZY have introduced in years. I booked my mum emergency exit seats to go to Alicante next month. She hates the whole seat scrum thing and you were not guaranteed to get exit seat even if you paid for speedy boarding which was also a PITA a syou had to be the first at the gate. Now you can relax and suanter along and still get the seats you paid for. If you don't want to pay thjen don't, you will still get a seat.

They have this model on Vueling and I always pay a bit more for seats at the front. I genreally get at least the row to myself if it's not too busy orat the least the middle seat empty as they Dutch are relucatant to pay extra for seating.

uk
Level Contributor
3,811 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: easyjet new system of allocated seating

Not a fan of the change either.

My concern is that if travelling solo and opting not to pay for my seat selection, I have an approximate 1 in 3 chance of randomly being assigned a middle seat.

Even with the old system and choosing to avoid the gate scrum by boarding last I very rarely ended up with a middle seat.

UK
Level Contributor
968 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: easyjet new system of allocated seating

Post 5, sorry but that is a nonsensical statement. If you add up luggage allowance, food etc it is not always cheaper than BA. Of course, you have the options etc with EZY, so you do not have to take ll of he options, but you can not make a sweeping statement like that.

MERSEYSIDE
Level Contributor
4,034 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: easyjet new system of allocated seating

I wonder how many people will actually pay for the front seats? Not sure how much the speedy board was as I have never paid it. Which is cheaper?