We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Qantas Carry on allowance

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
4,774 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Qantas Carry on allowance

I'm on an international Qantas flight from Frankfurt to Sydney (I'll be on other domestic Qantas flights too) and I just read that the carry on allowance on Qantas is only 15 lbs....

How strictly is that limit enforced? I carry my laptop, books and stuff all in one bag and I'm not sure if I can stay under the 15 lbs limit.

I'm used to airlines that have a carry on allowance of 40 lbs.

Are they actually weighing your bags upon boarding? If they do and I'm like one or two pounds over the limit...will they charge me an extra fee? Or refuse to let me board?

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Qantas Carry on allowance

It's really best to comply with the limit. It does not matter if they have been flexible or strict before, put simply, it only matters what they do with your flight. They could either fine you or insist on putting it in the hold.

It's always best to look at baggage limits and costs before you book an airline, not afterwards.

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
4,774 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Qantas Carry on allowance

That doesn't really matter now, does it?

I wouldn't have paid an extra grand to fly with another airline with higher carry on allowance anyway.

Eitherway I could still carry a second carry on item, like a laptop bag, but I was trying to avoid this because that would be another item I'd have to store somewhere in the cabin.

I was just looking for someone with Qantas experience, to know if they actually weigh your carry on bag upon boarding/check in, like ripoff low cost carriers in Europe do, or not.

London
Level Contributor
2,576 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Qantas Carry on allowance

I've never had a carry on bag weighed on a Qantas flight. (that's not to say they won't weigh yours though!)

I think that the only times that I've had a carry on weighed has been with Aerolineas Argentinas and Air Asia.

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
4,774 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Qantas Carry on allowance

> I've never had a carry on bag weighed on a Qantas flight. (that's not to say they won't weigh yours though!)

Thanks.

By the way, can a laptop sleeve be used as a carry on item? That way I could take the laptop out of the bag if they say it's too heavy and use the sleeve as my second item....and put it back in my bag once on board...

Edited: 10 November 2012, 15:08
australia
Level Contributor
2,551 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Qantas Carry on allowance

In addition to your carry-on baggage allowance, you may also carry on board one small personal item such as a handbag, laptop computer*, overcoat, small camera, a reasonable amount of reading material or a small amount of duty free goods (where permitted).

* For a laptop computer to be considered a personal item it must be carried in a slim bag. Laptops carried in large laptop bags will be counted as part of your carry-on baggage allowance

Nannup, Australia
Level Contributor
3,652 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Qantas Carry on allowance

Why do you think the 7kg rule, clearly stipulated, should not apply to you? I have seen carry-on being checked at the gate for QF domestic flights.

London
Level Contributor
2,576 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Qantas Carry on allowance

But the question was "How strictly is the rule enforced?" not "Does this rule apply to me?"

It's not a certainty that they won't weigh your bag, but I'd say your chances of being okay are better than average.

Sunshine Coast...
Level Contributor
2,848 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Qantas Carry on allowance

Doesn't really matter if 99 other people get away with it - they won't be able to help you if you are the 1 person who gets their luggage weighed and has to either pay up or have it checked.

I have had my hand luggage weighed several times on Qantas flights - so it certainly does happen and I have seen several people over a variety of flights have their luggage taken off them. I have also seen people who managed to get stuff on board while clearly over the limit.

Although it appears that the OP should be OK if their luggage is within the limit and the only extra item is their laptop which is allowed under Qantas's rules. Taking the laptop out (in the sleeve) would be acceptable but I would try to do that before it is weighed if you think you are going to be too heavy.

For anyone else - if you choose to go over the limit then for your own sake please have a plan B - make sure you have any valuables, money, passport etc that can't be checked in an easily accessible place so that you can quickly remove them before your bag is taken from you.

Nannup, Australia
Level Contributor
3,652 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Qantas Carry on allowance

It doesn't matter what the question was, the simple answer is that it DOES apply to every passenger. Obey the rule and there is no need for a 'Plan B'.

Edited: 11 November 2012, 02:21
South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Qantas Carry on allowance

and kudos for qantas applying their carryon rule strictly.

it's a pity more airlines dont do the same.