We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transit in Schipol Airport

3 posts
Save Topic
Transit in Schipol Airport

Hey,

I will be flying from New York - Moscow with a transit in Amsterdam for 23 hours via KLM. Is it possible for me to exit the airport during that long transit period? My passport does not require a visa to enter Amsterdam.

Will my luggage be checked-in directly to the next flight? Both flights are operated by KLM.

Thank you.

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transit in Schipol Airport

You can leave the airport. Whether you luggage will be checked may depend on you travelling on one through ticket.

3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Transit in Schipol Airport

Thank you for the information!

Amsterdam
Level Contributor
8 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transit in Schipol Airport

Schiphol has lockers in case your luggage isn't checked through to Moscow.

Amsterdam
Level Contributor
8 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transit in Schipol Airport

Schiphol has lockers in case your luggage isn't checked through to Moscow.

Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Geneva, Liechtenstein, Air Travel
Level Contributor
4,698 posts
539 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transit in Schipol Airport

I guess you would be better off to ask for your luggage to be delivered in AMS should you decide to book a hotel there. Otherwise, yes, your luggage will go through.

KLM is furthermore extremely efficient on Twitter. If you send them a message @klm, you'll get an efficient reply within a couple of hours. Do remember though that these are visible. So for confidential info such as the PNR (6 digits booking reference number) or the ticket number, you'll need to follow them (and they will need to follow you) to be able to send a private message via Twitter.

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
6,864 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Transit in Schipol Airport

23 hours? - get out and visit the city. Get a hotel too. I've done it a couple times. Keep enough stuff in your carry on for 24 hours (always a good idea for misconnects) and let your checked baggage sit in the airport overnight. The subway runs directly under Schiphol, so you can get to the city in about 20 minutes. Last time I was there I think it was 3.60 euro. You can either stay in town or get an airport hotel. The Sheraton is attached to the airport - very nice but pricy. The Hilton is also attached. There are several that run free shuttles.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,496 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Transit in Schipol Airport

I would book the luggage straight through and take a small trolley with toiletries, change of clothing etc for an overnight stay.

8. Re: Transit in Schipol Airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 November 2013, 10:16