We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

BA First Class

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
18,648 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
BA First Class

I have noticed that BA is having a sale on Club World/First Class tickets and although it does not include my probable future travel dates to the US I hope there might be a similar sale in the future although I know there are no guarantees.

The current BA sale has a limited window for booking and assuming any future sale might be similar I thought it would be a good idea to get some feedback/views on BA First Class in advance so I'm prepared.

I know it's impossible for anybody else to answer the "is it worth it" question as that varies from person to person.

I note from the BA website that they have competed 75% of the installation of the new First cabin on the planned longhaul aircraft and my planned flight would be LHR to Las Vegas on a 747 - does anybody know when the installation of the new First will be complete and whether it makes a substantial difference if I was to get an old First.

Although at this stage I don't have any other specific questions I would welcome any feedback or information from anybody who has flown BA First Class to help me decide.

Thanks in advance.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,022 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: BA First Class

There's no guarantee of getting the new product if you're on a 747 operated route as not all the 747s are going to be refurbished, handful will be kept with the "old" product.

In terms of the vital statistics there isn't a huge difference between the new and old products. The bed is the same length, there are the same number of seats in the cabin etc. The inflight entertainment screen is a lot bigger in the new seats though.

The old seats don't always look tip top at the moment though and on rare occasions they're not fully functioning. I've had the odd broken down seat but have been lucky enough to "jump start" it or move to another seat which was free.

There are some benefits to the old seat though. There's an independently operated footrest which the new seat doesn't have and which I rather miss if I'm honest!

Take a read on airliners.net, Flyertalk.com or similar, there are some good reports of the new and old seats so you can compare.

After many flights in the new cabin I always sigh a little if on the odd chance I get the old seats but it's rarely a letdown. I feel the new seat is designed more around the 777 then being in the nose of the 747 but that's just speculation given the arrangement and layout.

Madrid
Level Contributor
3,185 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: BA First Class

BA First is a very nice way to travel,whether new or old.The food and service may not be as good as Cathay or Singapore airlines,but it is light years ahead of travelling in economy.

I would recommend arriving at terminal 5 with sufficient time to spend a little time in the Concorde room.After check in at the First area,go through fast track security at the south end of terminal 5,then turn right at the "secret door" directly into the Concorde room,without having to traverse the BAA shopping mall."You first" will help you get the most out of the experience.

Like most flights,the inflight service can be a bit of a lottery,but in general I find service very good.The day time flight to Vegas is a good chance to sample the available food and drink.It can be heavy going especially if one has done full justice to the Concorde room fare.Good training for Vegas perhaps,LOL.

On arrival in Vegas,you will be first one off,and hopefully through immigration rather quickly.After a busy time in Vegas,the opportunity to have a lie flat bed is a godsend.I'm not sure if I would pay full fare for first,but in a sale,or a cheap club world an an mfu to first,I would definately go for.I have just bought a club world seat to Seoul for £777 round trip in the inaugural offer,and if I get the chance I will mfu to first.

Vegas is a long enough flight to enjoy first,have a great time.

surrey
Level Contributor
1,966 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: BA First Class

We were on oll First to San Francisco a few weeks ago but it was perfectly ok. The only downside I see is the size of the tv screens - once you've had the larger screens it's hard to watch the smaller screens again. The cabin was a bit scruffier but the crew were great.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,022 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: BA First Class

The only downside I see is the size of the tv screens - once you've had the larger screens it's hard to watch the smaller screens again

Indeed, particularly if you end up on one of the old First 777s with the even smaller TVs! It's like trying to watch a film on the face of a watch! (Although I'll concede iPads are handed out on these aircraft)

The new screens have the ability to show the map and film/TV show at the same time which is nice. The one shortfall with the IFE in New First is that the resolution remains unchanged so it looks rather pixelated at times. On the 777-300s with the Thales entertainment system it's so much better though.

Cala d'Or, Spain
Level Contributor
4,235 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: BA First Class

Not sure about first class, but I have just snapped up two return Club Class seats from Gatwick to St Lucia in February for just under £1500 each.

There are some excellent deals available particularly across the Atlantic.

Winnipeg Canada
Destination Expert
for Winnipeg
Level Contributor
4,457 posts
402 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: BA First Class

I have heard a lot of great things about BA First Class.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
563 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: BA First Class

waste of money

and yes i can afford it

Madrid
Level Contributor
3,185 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: BA First Class

waste of money

and yes i can afford it

Matter of opinion,

So can I

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
18,648 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: BA First Class

kernow666

Thks for your opinion - I don't agree with it however.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,022 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: BA First Class

waste of money

and yes i can afford it

How insightful!