We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st flight with 2 yr old across country- virgin or Alaska?

NY
Level Contributor
44 posts
91 reviews
Save Topic
1st flight with 2 yr old across country- virgin or Alaska?

Hello, I am traveling from the east coast to the west coast. This is my first flight with my 2 year old. Which airline is a better choice - virgin America or Alaska air? We usually fly JetBlue but they are double the price so they are out.

Which one is more child friendly and comfortable. Thanks so much for any advice in advance.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
10,857 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st flight with 2 yr old across country- virgin or Alaska?

I don't think it makes any difference in coach. I'd choose the one with the better schedule/price.

NY
Level Contributor
44 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st flight with 2 yr old across country- virgin or Alaska?

Thank you Gracie boo. :)

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
10,857 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st flight with 2 yr old across country- virgin or Alaska?

You're welcome. Have a great trip and pack plenty of snacks, some new toys, a change of clothes, etc.! Try and get a nonstop flight if you can.

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
6,634 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 1st flight with 2 yr old across country- virgin or Alaska?

Virgin America has individual video screens in economy with free TV, games, movies (some that cost) and food menus where you order buy-on-board from your seat.

On Alaska you can rent a "dig-e-player" for $10 that has a small selection of movies and TV shows.

No comparison IMO.

Berkeley, CA
Level Contributor
608 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1st flight with 2 yr old across country- virgin or Alaska?

Are you sure that the Alaskan flight isn't a code share with American? If it is, there is no question that Virgin is superior for the reasons stated in 4. It is also the closest to JetBlue, which would be my first choice if the price were the same. I just don't understand those who state that all economy is the same-Virgin and JetBlue both provide a much better cabin experience than any of the other usual suspects.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,497 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1st flight with 2 yr old across country- virgin or Alaska?

Virgin all the way and I've seen on past flights how much of a fuss they make of kids.

NY
Level Contributor
44 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1st flight with 2 yr old across country- virgin or Alaska?

Thanks everyone for your input! I really appreciate it. This really helps.

NY
Level Contributor
44 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 1st flight with 2 yr old across country- virgin or Alaska?

What is a codeshare??

We are very familiar with Jetblue and definitely would have chose them if their price wasn't double what others wanted. Thanks again !!

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
6,634 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: 1st flight with 2 yr old across country- virgin or Alaska?

>> What is a codeshare?? <<

A codeshare is when one airline puts its flight number on a plane actually operated by a partner airline. For example, you may see a flight with a number like AA 6892, which would lead you to believe that's an American Airlines flight. In reality, it's Alaska Airlines flight no. AS 11, operated by Alaska and flown on Alaska's plane. Alaska gives American the authority to sell tickets on the Alaska flight using AA's flight number. AA and AS split the revenues according to an agreement.

It will help if you say where you're flying to/from. Virgin America and Alaska don't compete on too many trans-continental routes.

NY
Level Contributor
44 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 1st flight with 2 yr old across country- virgin or Alaska?

Thanks for explaining. I saw that on kayak but didn't know what it was.