We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can airlines refuse checking in their passengers?

Hampshire Uk
Level Contributor
19 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Can airlines refuse checking in their passengers?

Does the air line have the write to do this? And where do we complain for our right?

My sister turned up one hour and a half before her flight today at the airport in Tunis for a flight to the Uk.Only to find out that the staff has just decided to closs the check-in desk. When she asked the reason for this amazingly shocking action,the answer was "sorry we closed". When she points out that she still have one and a half hour before her flight, the reply came "sorry madam we are closed"; but why what are the reasons? The reply was "Sorry we are closed"

My sister was visiting our mother who was having a major operation the following day. My sister was not alone in this situation, and other passengers on that flight and other Tunis air flights to Paris and Belgim experienced similar problems. We think this is due to the strike action which had taken place two days earlier in Europe, we think this is Tunis airline way of dealing with their backlog . How appalling!

When we complained to Tunisair, they denied every thing, they say my sister was late!

Well that is certainly the icing on the cake!

They would not deal with complaint, they will not acknowledge their appalling action.

Where can we go from here?

Wales
Level Contributor
2,167 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can airlines refuse checking in their passengers?

How long before departure did her ticket say the check in desk would close?

Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Geneva, Liechtenstein, Air Travel
Level Contributor
4,439 posts
478 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can airlines refuse checking in their passengers?

Although it is surprising, Tunisair seems to be requiring its passengers to check in 145 minutes before take off (tunisair.com/site/…). So I am afraid there is not much you can complain about...

Wales
Level Contributor
2,167 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can airlines refuse checking in their passengers?

Just seen this on the Tunisair website:

>>Check-in deadline fixed at 60 minutes before the departure, we recommend that you check in early<<

Was she really there an hour and a half before departure? If so, that seems harsh - and I don't really know what to suggest ...

Nowy Sacz, Poland
Level Contributor
4,024 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can airlines refuse checking in their passengers?

Your sister WAS late. It's clear from the website that Tunisair close check-in 2.25 hours before departure time,

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9,330 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can airlines refuse checking in their passengers?

I presume your sister had a ticket booked for the flight? (By that I mean that she was not buying a ticket at the airport at the last second, but in fact had a confirmed ticket)

Their own website says this and I admit it is not written in the best of English, but it does say this and they may try and argue the point you sister was not there 3 hours prior to departure (despite the part about check in)

------------

Checking in at the Airport

Presence at the airport: 3 hours before the departure

Check-in deadline fixed at 60 minutes before the departure, we recommend that you check in early

Wales
Level Contributor
2,167 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Can airlines refuse checking in their passengers?

Hmm, seems there's conflicting info on the Tunisair site ,,,

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9,330 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Can airlines refuse checking in their passengers?

I presume your sister had a ticket booked for the flight? (By that I mean that she was not buying a ticket at the airport at the last second, but in fact had a confirmed ticket)

Their own website says this and I admit it is not written in the best of English, but it does say this and they may try and argue the point you sister was not there 3 hours prior to departure (despite the part about check in)

------------

Checking in at the Airport

Presence at the airport: 3 hours before the departure

Check-in deadline fixed at 60 minutes before the departure, we recommend that you check in early

Yet elsewhere it says this seems to imply which check in luggage, you best get there earlier .

--

Our passengers are invited to proceed to our check-in desks accompanied with their travel documents and their luggage (hand luggage included) at least 2 hours and 15 minutes before the departure time indicated on the flight ticket.

Hampshire Uk
Level Contributor
19 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Can airlines refuse checking in their passengers?

She had a eticket booked by ebookers, this did not show any unusual checking - in time. Being at the airport 2 hours before a flight is more than reasonable and the normal closing time for a flight is normally 45 min before the flight. Never I have experienced a flight closing so early and without any reasonable arrangements for their passengers..

Hampshire Uk
Level Contributor
19 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Can airlines refuse checking in their passengers?

But what can one do when this happens ?

Nowy Sacz, Poland
Level Contributor
4,024 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Can airlines refuse checking in their passengers?

Fahdley - with sympathy, this is one of those times when you should never assume anything - check, check, check again. Your sister has learned the cost of not checking Tunisair check-in times which are easily found via Google