We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trouble getting to Malaysia Airlines

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
37 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Trouble getting to Malaysia Airlines

I've been trying to manage my bookings on Malaysia Airlines website and kept getting this message:

-- quote --

Internet Booking Engine Maintenance

Our Internet booking engine is currently undergoing maintenance work. Please note that existing bookings created before 25 Oct 2012 will be inaccessible via our website.

If you wish to make changes on those bookings, kindly contact our 1 300 88 3000 (within Malaysia) or +603 7843 3000 (outside Malaysia). Alternatively, you may visit our nearest ticket office.

We apologise for any inconvenience caused during this period.

-- unquote --

There is a change of aircraft from Boeing to A380. And for a travelling party of 3 pax, two of us will be seated far from the 3rd travelling party. The seats we reserved and paid for are of course not valid due to a change of aircraft.

I managed to speak to a customer service agent and was assured that I will receive an email confirmation of the newly confirmed seating arrangements for both long haul sectors.

However, it's more than a week now and still no word from MAS.

I find it puzzling how is that the internet booking engine is undergoing maintenance and still be able to accept bookings (definitely payment as well) but not allow paying customers to manage their bookings.

And it's not right to have accepted additional payment for a service that the company cannot honor, especially it is the national carrier.

Has anyone experience similar too? Please share how you have handled it and what you have to do in order to get what you paid for at Malaysia Airlines.

Thanks in advance for your contributions.

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
3,167 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trouble getting to Malaysia Airlines

I'd go to the MH reservations office .... it used to be in Penang Road near Park Mall in SG ... not sure if it still is. They'll be able to sort out your problem.

RPD
London
Level Contributor
1 post
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trouble getting to Malaysia Airlines

Malaysian Airways- Customer service???

I had to change a booking to Australia on Malaysian airlines. Nothing could be done on line and the only number provided was in Malaysia. I had to phone numerous times before I got through, then was cut off part way through the converstaion. Finally got through tonight and explained that i needed to change the flights and asked what the best thing to do was. Was told that I could change for an extra £50 each. I said that the new flights were £1000 cheaper for two of us than i had paid -originally we were going for Christmas- so it couldnt be right that i had to pay more. I was assured that the change fee was £50 each and there were no refunds. I asked what the cost of cancelliing would be and eventually was told it was £150 each, I said that as i would be £700 better off cancelling, I would certainly cancel rather than change my flight. I was then told that although they could cancel my flight, I could only get a refund by attending the local ticketing agent which was out at Heathrow. They claimed not to have a telephone number and said I would have to attend in person. There was no supervisor available to speak to; it did not matter that i was an Enrich member; or that i made it clear I would not be rebooking this flight on Malaysian Airllines or indeed ever again. I have found the phone number for Malaysian Airways at Terminal 4 from the Heathrow website. Just an answerphone so far, but there is an option for refunds so I am hopeful. Has anyone else managed to get a refund over the phone or do I really have to take a day off wok to go to Heathrow during office hours?

3. Re: Trouble getting to Malaysia Airlines

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 03 December 2012, 15:05
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
37 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trouble getting to Malaysia Airlines

Jules, Thanks for your suggestions.

Here's an update and we are still getting nowhere with the seat booking issue with Malaysia Airlines although we have made and paid for them in September.

We spoke to the Reservation Supervisor who said that even if we are in their town office, they would not be able to do much about our seats booking as we have done and paid for our bookings online.

We spoke to 3 different Malaysia Airlines staff who told us that they could not help with this issue as it is an internet booking.

With that, it is a huge discouragement to book air travel tickets online, especially with Malaysia Airlines. Would we even want to book with Malaysia Airlines in future?! It was this issue that we did a little more reading online and found that there are many complaints posted on Malaysia AIrlines Facebook wall about the reliability of internet bookings and call centre services.

We estimated that we have spent nearly 10 hours on the phone, on 9 Nov, 27 Nov and today, speaking to various customer service agents, and still not getting anywhere resolving this issue.

We did as advised and sent an email to resvns@malaysiaairlines.com and attention to Internet Booking, Manager.

Any other suggestion as to what else we could do, short of another rude shock at the check-in counter on 15Dec?

This is exasperating. Please help ~~

Many thanks,

KK

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
3,167 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trouble getting to Malaysia Airlines

You're flying KUL/LHR?

I too am flying this route .... And chose the B777 for the return trip. Quite frankly I don't remember paying to choose my seats. When they announced the change of aircraft, I called MH to reserve seats on the upper deck, no worries.

I don't know why you're unable to get it sorted but I guess the only way now is to wait till you check in ..... You should be able to get your three seats together but I'd suggest you get to the airport earlier than the required two hours. Or you could do web check in and maybe change the seats.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
37 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trouble getting to Malaysia Airlines

Yes, Jules, we are flying SIN-KUL-LHR-KUL-SIN with a 3 hours transit in KLIA.

Did you book online? It seemed that it's easier for the reservation manager to make any change if it's _not_ an internet booking.

It was the 747-200 at first and yes, we paid for seats reservation as they are economy class tickets. We wanted 2 window and 1 aisle seats. For our SIN-KUL and KUL-SIN sectors, we are not bothered about the seats allocation. It's more convenient for us that our girl is seated near us during long haul flights.

Our flight is at 6:45am. We are planning to go for a midnight movie (The Hobbit :D) and then off to the airport for supper and flight. Thus, we will be definitely at the airport earlier than the required 2 hours before ETD.

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
3,167 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trouble getting to Malaysia Airlines

Yes booked online but used FF points. Still had to pay for taxes, etc but don't believe I paid for seat selection ..... I chose to fly the A380 for the outbound and B777 for the inbound. And because they changed the aircraft to twice daily A380 service, I called MH to select my seats on the upper deck. And it was easily done.

I'm really surprised you're having problems. You said you called the MH office in SG? Did you go personally to the office if you were unsuccessful with the phone call?

Luzon, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Bandar Seri Begawan
Level Contributor
17,520 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trouble getting to Malaysia Airlines

Not all seats are available online for everybody to choose as airlines block seats for them to distribute during check-in. If you are early at the airport the chances that you will all be seated together is very high.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
37 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trouble getting to Malaysia Airlines

Jules,

We rang the MH office in Singapore and upon understanding that it was an internet booking, they said it's beyond them, advising that we should contact the internet booking call centre (which we did and did not get anywhere). Ms Lucy, the supervisor of reservation (Singapore) added that even if we turn up at the MH Singapore office, they still can't do much as it is an internet booking. We are surprised with that knowledge!

kegler,

We agree with you that not all seats are available for online selection and booking.

What's frustrating is that we spoke to an internet booking call centre agent, Meiling, who confirmed that we will have our preferred seats on the upper deck of A380 for both long haul flight on 9 Nov. On 27Nov, we received a confirmation email of a different seating arrangement for an example - 34C, 39H, 39K.

Sadly till now, no one at MAS is able to give us a concrete solution to honor their part of the agreement.

In the meantime, we are checking on the operating hours of MAS check-in counters at Singapore Airport.

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
3,167 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trouble getting to Malaysia Airlines

It's very strange that you have to call the central reservations for bookings made online. I know MH is not that efficient with answering calls (I had to wait 10 mins but that's ok because I'm calling locally) ..... So what happens with overseas guests who make online bookings (like you)?

I guess the only thing you can do is get to the airport early enough ..... And ask the check-in agent if he/she knows the easiest solution to this issue.

I also reckon there's a glitch with their website: I can access my booking but I can't make any changes ..... I just thought the reason for this is that I used Enrich points.

Good luck with getting the seats you want!