We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are we allowed to bring plants on the planez?

Kuala Lumpur...
1 post
Save Topic
Are we allowed to bring plants on the planez?

I have to get to my hometown which is in Sarawak, I have a tiny water plant called a Marimo.I was wondering if I could bring it from Kuala Lumpur to Sarawak.I know water isnt permitted but i just wanted to know if we can bring them on planes.

Thank You.

Garden Bay, Canada
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
Level Contributor
9,796 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Are we allowed to bring plants on the planez?

Since you can take salad on a plane, you can take plants. However, you are travelling internationally and there may be restrictions on live plants. Check that out as a Customs and Quarantine issue.

Trondheim, Norway
Destination Expert
for Trondheim
Level Contributor
4,701 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Are we allowed to bring plants on the planez?

If the plane trip is directly between Kuala Lumpur and Sarawak there is no international travel involved, just domestic. Should be no problem.

Garden Bay, Canada
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
Level Contributor
9,796 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Are we allowed to bring plants on the planez?

I'm a dummy. Of course there is no international travel. I was thinking Indonesia.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,496 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Are we allowed to bring plants on the planez?

I don't think you can take plants on a plane due to parasites but I'm not sure, maybe you should ask the airline..

detroit, mi
Level Contributor
130 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Are we allowed to bring plants on the planez?

Marimo, ball algae, moss ball.

If this is what you mean it is a underwater plant and must be kept in water and covered. Could be a problem on a plane with security. You could put it in a small jar, 2 0z or smaller, and pack it in your carry. Security might still toss it.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Are we allowed to bring plants on the planez?

in australia we have quarantine restrictions on plants (and plant products) moving between some states ie. domestic flights.

surrey
Level Contributor
1,966 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Are we allowed to bring plants on the planez?

You can buy orchids at Bangkok airport airside and take them on board. I've brought them back to the uk without any problems before. I doubt Australia would let them in though.

In the case of taking this marimo if you can keep any liquids under 100ml or whatever the limit is in Malaysia you should be ok.

8. Re: Are we allowed to bring plants on the planez?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 December 2013, 13:16