We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flying to Granada Spain

Syosset, New York
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Flying to Granada Spain

Our only choice of airlines is Iberia or American. Which is the lesser of 2 evils? Both have horrible reviews...

Any suggestions?

Thank you.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
Level Contributor
9,648 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flying to Granada Spain

Both have good reviews too. Both have nonsensical reviews too. Remember that people who have decent flights, or understand how airlines work don't write reviews very often. If a million people fly on an airline, and five are upset, you'd say that it would be no big deal right? But if those 5 people write a review or complain on Facebook, because they want to make noise, it looks like the reviews of the airline are horrible. But it is still only 5 people out of a million.

Either are fine. At this point in time I'd shy away from AA due to their labor issues, but really, either one will get you there safely and in equal comfort/discomfort.

Edited: 01 December 2012, 15:08
Syosset, New York
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Flying to Granada Spain

Thank you so much. I appreciate your response, and I will book on Iberia.

Cala d'Or, Spain
Level Contributor
4,254 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flying to Granada Spain

'At this time I would shy away from AA due to their labor issues'.

Iberia pilots and cabin crew have just called six days of strikes in December with more planned for the new year.

I would definitely not book with Iberia.

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
20,088 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flying to Granada Spain

"Our only choice of airlines is Iberia or American." - Make sure you actually book with the carrier of your choice as these 2 airlines will frequently code share specific flights - check who the operating carrier is on the actual flights.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
53,642 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flying to Granada Spain

Tom's advice is important. Make sure you understand what airline's equipment you are actually using. They do codeshare several flights.

From a service perspective, AA is the winner.

Berkeley, CA
Level Contributor
592 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flying to Granada Spain

AA doesn't fly into Granada, so no matter what you will wind up on Iberia or a subsidiary after entering Spain. BA also code shares with AA and Iberia, and that would be a better choice if it is offered at or near a comparable price.

I don't agree that airline reviews should be disregarded. You can get a pretty good idea about the quality of the flight, the amenities (like IFE) and how customer service deals with problems by looking at reviews on TA, Airline Quality and FlyerTalk for example. Some airlines are better than others, or have qualities that are more important to you than others, and this is the way you can sort it out.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
38,867 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flying to Granada Spain

You might also consider flying to Malaga which will give you much more choice of airlines (e.g. Swiss though Zurich, Aer Lingus via Dublin) and then rent a car to drive the 90 minutes to Granada. Rental cars in winter are really cheap in Spain.

Cala d'Or, Spain
Level Contributor
4,254 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Flying to Granada Spain

Good idea Ronaldo and it's a great drive up to Granada.

9. Re: Flying to Granada Spain

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 December 2012, 13:40
Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
95 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Flying to Granada Spain

Are you flying in from the New York?

If so, why don't you consider Delta's direct service from JFK to Malaga? I think this route operates during the summer season,

Malaga is by far the busiest airport in Southern Spain and offers connections from all over Europe, due to its strong European tourist links. If you want to avoid American or Iberia, you have far more choices to Malaga.

- Fly Delta or Air France to Paris and connect onto AIr Europa services which are all part of the SkyTeam alliance and have codeshare agreements.

- Lufthansa/United offer connections through Frankfurt

- Swiss through Zurich

- Aer Lingus through Dublin

(British Airways are unable to offer connections to Malaga as their US flights operate into London Heathrow and the Malaga routes from London Gatwick.)

Once you get to Malaga it is only about a 90 minute drive to Granada and Malaga Airport also has a Railway Station and I think connections to Granada might be possible from there.