We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 Hour Layover

Glasgow, United...
6 posts
Save Topic
1 Hour Layover

I'm going to be flying from Glasgow International Airport to Schiphol Airport then on to Chicago O'Hare International Airport. My flight from Glasgow arrives into Schiphol at 11:40 AM. My flight from Schiphol to Chicago is at 12:40 giving me one hour to catch my flight. Both flights are on a single ticket with KLM. According to my travel agent I can't change the tickets, so really I'm just looking for some reassurance. Detailed responses are very welcome.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1 Hour Layover

You are asking for an assurance that on the day there will be no delays or snags that cause you or your luggage to miss the short connection? Unlikely you'll get such until the day after.

Pack your carry on on the basis that you might be without your luggage for a day or two.

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
18,628 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1 Hour Layover

It's doable but tight - you just have to hope your incoming flight is on time.

Have a look at the airport layout before you get there so you know where to go but Schipol is generally considered to be of the easier major airports to navigate - try to find out your departing gate info prior to leaving Glasgow although it could change.

http://www.schiphol.com/index_en.html

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,343 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1 Hour Layover

Hi,

To me, this all hinges on your inbound from GLA... If it's on-time, you should be fine-- not a whole lot of time in between, but do-able.. but get in late... now, it's a different story..

I don't like 1hr international connections because 1hr is not really what you have.. arrival times are expressed as the time the aircraft touches down-- and excludes taxi-in time.. then most carriers close the boarding doors around :05 to as much as :10 before departure time to complete manifest and weight & balance processes..

So, you kind of loose an automatic :10 to :15 right off the top via these two issues.. bust at this point, you've kind of go no alternative...

To me, thinking about what you can control... I'd be sure I knew where EXACTLY was going AS SOON AS I get off the plane.. Check to make sure you know where you correct gate is (this can change from what you were told earlier in GLA or even on-board)

.. I've seen too many folks wander off to the wrong (previously advised) gate, or waste a few precious minutes by simply erroneously walking the wrong way in the terminal.. and in your case, given the short time, every minute you have on the ground might be critical... So I'd want to be sure I used them as wisely as possible.

Travel Safe,

Glasgow, United...
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 1 Hour Layover

Thank you all for your replies. Gopbi, KLM say the touchdown time for my Glasgow flight is at 11:10

Nannup, Australia
Level Contributor
3,652 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1 Hour Layover

Minimum connecting time appears to be 50 mins at AMS, so you should be fine. Just don't dawdle or go duty free shopping in between flights! :-)

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
415 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1 Hour Layover

AMS is really well geared for fast connections. It is all one (albeit huge) building, no border control and security at the gate. If your incoming flight is on time (or even 10 mins late) you will be fine. Follow excellent advices from the previous posts, and maybe give some thought to plan B.

Berkshire, England
Level Contributor
12,671 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1 Hour Layover

We flew into Schiphol in the summer and couldn't believe how long we taxied for once the flight had landed. We joked that it took longer for us to taxi than the flight from LHR had taken! Seriously, it was at least 15 mins after we landed that we finally got to the gate.

Edited: 05 December 2012, 16:28
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
Level Contributor
8,660 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 1 Hour Layover

I've connected in a hour at AMS many times without issue.

9. Re: 1 Hour Layover

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 December 2013, 19:17