We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Check your United Airlines reservations weekly!

Texas
Level Contributor
815 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Check your United Airlines reservations weekly!

I've written about this before, but be sure to check your United Airlines reservations weekly, as well as other airlines, too.

We've had multiple changes, loss of reservations from their system, and actual change of airline last week on an interisland flight in Hawaii; Island Air, through whom United had booked us, actually called us to tell us that our interisland flight would now be on Hawaiian Air 12/17. Yeah for Island Air.

We have never received one e-mail or call from United when a change occurs, so the only way to be aware of a change is to sign into your reservation and check it. They seem to put a RED notification on the itinerary when it's called up to notify that way there has been a change, and you have to check at the bottom that you accept the change--if you do! If not, don't check and call United.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
29,482 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Check your United Airlines reservations weekly!

Only weekly? ;)

Good advice from Jane, but stress this is in regards of ALL airlines. Her description of the United reservations system and the bold red text at the top is 100% accurate; you can't miss it.

United is IME no worse but no better than the others, though since the reservations system merger (that uses the Continental system) I get more notifications than before so it's somewhat better than before. But I still check my reservations at least twice a week from T minus 2 months and onwards.

Another reason for checking reservations frequently is in case of an aircraft change messing up your seat assignments. United in particular has been doing a lot of those recently. If your seat assignment is messed up, the earlier you spot it the better the chance of getting it addressed. You may even have the opportunity to (like me) snag a better seat at someone else's expense. ;)

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Check your United Airlines reservations weekly!

Good timing on this considering the other thread and the discussion on a third party not notifying of a possible change, and where responsibilities lie.

For me, it's all airlines also, and I am pleasantly surprised when I get a notification, not the other way round ie I am not surprised when I don't.

Garden Bay, Canada
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
Level Contributor
9,539 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Check your United Airlines reservations weekly!

About a week ago, United had a major schedule change for early next year. Many minor changes, but many significant ones as well. A friend who knows said there were over 220,000 flights that experienced changes. It is more likely than not that if you have a reservation for the new year, it has been changed somehow.

4. Re: Check your United Airlines reservations weekly!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 December 2013, 23:17