We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

AA and BA Connection question

Raleigh, North...
6 posts
Save Topic
AA and BA Connection question

I am coming from the US on American Airlines and landing in LHR at 6:55am in Terminal 3. I have a connecting flight with British Airways in Terminal 5 at 8:30am to go to Venice. Is that possible or did I just create a traveling nightmare? Also does AA and BA do luggage pass-through so that I do not have to re-check my bags?

Scotland
Level Contributor
1,332 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: AA and BA Connection question

Is it all on one ticket, or is it two separate bookings?

If the former, your bags should be automatically checked-through, and should you miss the connection, you will be rebooked asap.

If the latter, you should still be able to ask for your bags to be through-checked (but may have to argue the toss), but your 'connection' will not be protected.

Is it possible? Certainly - but don't hang around!

Raleigh, North...
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: AA and BA Connection question

^Thanks!

It is on one ticket/reservation that I booked through American Airlines

Edited: 12 December 2012, 20:23
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,627 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: AA and BA Connection question

Your bags should be checked through, but you'll have - as Scots_Al said - very little time to linger.

Terminal 3 will be busy at 0655; after you disembark follow the signs for Flight Connections. You'll be treated to a bus ride across LHR from T3 to T5 where you will very likely have to queue for a Security check (the liquids and gels rule holds) then go through to Departures.

T5 Flight Connections will be busy at 0730. The departure gate for your flight to VCE may be posted by the time you get to T5, so keep an eye on the departure boards. If your flight is to depart from gate A10 then make your way there as soon as you can, as you'll have another bus ride from the terminal building to the remote stand.

You will be offered a light snack on board the flight to VCE, a filled croissant and tea or coffee; orange juice may be available as well.

Raleigh, North...
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: AA and BA Connection question

^ thanks.

I am very nervous about this...catching a cruise in Venice on Oct. 20th so no real room for error. Plus I just noticed that I will be flying into and out of LHR on a Saturday.

Edited: 12 December 2012, 20:55
South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: AA and BA Connection question

october 20th?

next year?

i wouldn't be too worried about the connection now. more than likely flight schedules will be changed (maybe a few times) before then.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,358 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: AA and BA Connection question

i wouldn't be too worried about the connection now. more than likely flight schedules will be changed (maybe a few times) before then.

BA don't really do schedule changes, certainly nothing along the lines of the US carriers! Coincidentally though I've a few longhauls booked on the summer '13 schedule and I was informed today that they've had slight time changes.

Why does flying through Heathrow on a Saturday worry you?

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: AA and BA Connection question

"BA don't really do schedule changes"

yeah right!

in any case AA might.....it is an AA to BA connection.

Raleigh, North...
6 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: AA and BA Connection question

Worried about Saturday because it is usually a heavier travel day (from my experiences). So I just assumed LHR would be just as bad if not worse.

Garden Bay, Canada
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
Level Contributor
9,838 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: AA and BA Connection question

If you are headed to a cruise, the general advice is to arrive at least a day early at your departure point. As you say, you can't afford to miss the boat.

I would never rely on a 90 minute stressed connection at the end of a long flight in order for me to be sure I was someplace I needed to be at on time.

Edited: 13 December 2012, 00:18
Raleigh, North...
6 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: AA and BA Connection question

^ thanks for that...I know. Flying into Venice on the 19th cruise leaves on the 20th. But I want to be able to sleep in the Venice Hotel I paid for instead of one in the UK because of a missed connection that is not my fault.