We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

size of cabin luggage

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Topic
size of cabin luggage

I flew from Manchester airport 2 days ago and was forced to pay £40 for a cabin baggage , which originally Jet2 had offered to check in for FREE , on the pretext that it would not fit the cabin locker. This inspite of the fact that I have carried this bag on several Ryanair , Easyjet and JET2 flights previously. The check in desk staff was unhelpful , arrogant and could not care less. Her attitude was either pay or miss your flight. The essence was making me pay an extra £40. I would strongly urge passengers to look for alternatives rather than fly with JET2. I would rate them below Ryanair in customer service - and that is saying something.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: size of cabin luggage

Sorry, I'm struggling to understand what you have written,

They offered to check the bag in for free and then changed their minds and charged you? This sounds highly unlikely. Why did they offer you free check in baggage and did you have it in writing? What is the relevance to it fitting in the overhead locker if it was being checked to the hold free?

If you mean you were going to take it into the cabin as hand luggage free ( this is not checking it in, which means sending it to the hold), then you need to make sure it is within their maximum dimensions for cabin hand luggage, irrelevant of what you have got away with before.

It sounds like your bag was too big, out with the max dimensions for cabin luggage and you subsequently had to check it and pay to do so, as everyone else does. Which is correct and fair enough.

However maybe you can expand further on the offer to check it free, as you may be saying something else.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: size of cabin luggage

Yajati, please go into your other two threads and click on report inappropriate content and then click on remove my post. You have posted the same thread three times. Once is enough.

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
36,032 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: size of cabin luggage

I like Jet2 and have never had a problem with them, and have booked a flight with them for later next year. Your experience certainly wouldn't put me off using them!

If your cabin bag is within size and weight you can carry it on free. If it is either overweight or oversize their website clearly states that you have to pay to check it into the hold. If there was no room in the overhead lockers, but it was within size and weight, they would then check it in for free.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: size of cabin luggage

Did it fit in the little test "cage" ?

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
1,832 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: size of cabin luggage

I'm sorry you felt you had bad service from Jet2 but in all honesty I fail to see the point you're making .... bag deemed too large to fit by staff at checkin ... Have to pay to check it in!!!!

Sorry but they are the rules..... even if this bag has been used many time before I'm afraid you have no reason to complain about an airline for carrying out their duty of carriage. I'm presuming it didn't fit the test cage so requiring to be checked into hold??

I fly Jet2 frequently and find their carry on allowance is more than generous and staff at Manchester airport have always been polite and professional.... you obviously didn't find them so accommodating for your needs.

Hampshire England
Level Contributor
5,929 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: size of cabin luggage

Clearly the OP needs clarifying.

Cabin baggage sizes on Ryanair are 55cm x 40cm x 20cm

Jet2 cabin baggage sizes are 56x45x25cm

So if you've carried the hand baggage on Ryanair, then it's less than the size that Jet2 allows you.

East Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
5,411 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: size of cabin luggage

<< .....and was forced to pay £40 for a cabin baggage....>>

I very much doubt you were FORCED to pay anything. The most likely scenario is you didn't comply with the size/weight requirements and were ASKED to pay accordingly. You still had a choice

London
Level Contributor
4 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: size of cabin luggage

I am amazed at the size of cabin luggage now. First it had to fit into little metal holders to get on the plane otherwise considered as hold luggage. It seemed tiny o/n or a holdall was all you could take. Now a stream take great big extended luggage and stupid muggins like me is sticking to the old rules. Keep thinking I am going to be the one to be pulled..... or shall I go with the masses?

India
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
5,253 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: size of cabin luggage

If the hand baggage was within the allowed size with Jet 2 was the said luggage over the very generous 10kg, perhaps that's why the op needed to check it in?

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: size of cabin luggage

I suspect the op is not coming back. They knew their bag was over and just want to rant and throw some insults at the airline because they had to pay 40 bucks to transport their luggage. A way of extracting revenge, so to speak, for not throwing them a freebie.