We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Etiquette Question Overhead Storage

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,158 posts
246 reviews
Save Topic
Etiquette Question Overhead Storage

On a recent flight I had a bulkhead seat so I was forced to put both of my carry-on itmes in overhead storage. The gentlemen sitting next to me boarded late. He removed my bag from the compartment over my head and moved it seven rows back. That bag was my handbag and it contained currency and medication. I put it above my head so I could get it quickly once the plane reached altitude and so I could keep my eyes on it during take-off and landing.

I objected to this gentleman moving my bag in such a presumptive fashion. He had a very large and very heavy bag that did consume all of one over-head storage bin. His response was that my bags were smaller and therefore easier to wedge into space further back in the plane.

I said nothing more, and when the plane reached altitude I went back to the storage bin and retrieved my bag. I do not, however, think it appropriate behavior on his part. He could have boarded the plane when I did and then he would have had more choices about where to put his luggage. I rather think that when you are the last to board you cannot move the luggage of another person. Am I incorrect?

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,132 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
51. Re: Etiquette Question Overhead Storage

I don't think escalating an unpleasant situation would have resolved it. This guy obviously cares for no one but himself. Does anyone think shouting at him is going to make him apologize and bring your bag back???? I suspect not.

In this case as soon as he touched my handbag I would have called the purser to deal with it.

Edited: 22 December 2012, 22:16
UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
Level Contributor
5,179 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
52. Re: Etiquette Question Overhead Storage

Intit funny

People will always prove you right

I am very prejudicial

It comes with age and grumpiness

If I think someone is going to be sour , ill humoured, taciturn and mean

They often prove me right

If I think the same person is going to be funny, good company, and congenial

They usually prove me right

Funny Intit

Why do some of you board an airplane thinking that someone is going to

Recline a seat into your face

You re going to recline...with attitude as soon as you can and stuff everyone else

LOL

If anybody touches you are your stuff god help them

Do you behave like this in a bar or a restaurant ?

No you do not

So why display these attitudes on aircraft?

Edited: 22 December 2012, 22:27
Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
38,726 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
53. Re: Etiquette Question Overhead Storage

It wouldn't matter where I was, if someone moved my handbag without my permission, they would be spoekn to in exactly the same manner.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,179 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
54. Re: Etiquette Question Overhead Storage

Leuca, either you are trying to say you are an excellent judge of character, and that's great, or you are trying to say like gets like and the op in some way deserved this treatment as it was her expectation. That's really not great and it's quite rude.

And to answer your question, yes, if I was in a bar or a restaurant and a stranger walked up and moved my handbag, to the other end of the establishment, of course I would do the same thing and not permit it.

UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
Level Contributor
5,179 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
55. Re: Etiquette Question Overhead Storage

The OP did NOT. Deserve this treatment

But it seems to me that there are some with a hair trigger

And they are willing to allow themselves to slip into precisely the same sort of behaviour that they are objecting to

That's all

I have grasped the situation but note the attitude of those that are willing to start the verbals as soon as.

And it's the same old faces in many cases.

Thread after thread

Pot kettle black

Edited: 22 December 2012, 23:07
f m
nc
Level Contributor
65 posts
Save Reply
56. Re: Etiquette Question Overhead Storage

"scream bloody murder" = hyperbole

At least, that's how I interpreted posts to that effect; not that they were going to literally going to jump up and start screaming at maximum decibel level as a first response to the jerk.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,132 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
57. Re: Etiquette Question Overhead Storage

<<I have grasped the situation>>

I don't think so!

This is not someone's locked suitcase we are talking about.

It's a handbag containing money, medications, probably a phone and other personal items which was moved without the OPs permission to a part of the aircraft where she was unable to see it and it was not near her.

So, Leuca, if you were in a restaurant and someone took your wallet or handbag and moved it, without asking your permission, to another table where you couldn't see it or get to it, you'd be fine with that?

I think the OP behaved with amazing restraint.

UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
Level Contributor
5,179 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
58. Re: Etiquette Question Overhead Storage

I have read the thread Eva

And I did understand the concept that it was a purse

I also can differentiate between the characteristics of a restaurant and an aircraft

A restaurant is open to the public

People come and go at various times

Some are not just there to have a drink

Some are there as opportunist thieves in some cases

Nobody would leave a purse, bag or valuables in a restaurant or bar for a second

On an aircraft

Everyone gets on at the same time

Everyone gets off at te same time

There is a time of several hours inbetween

Oh and the doors are locked shut

And most of the time is spent off the ground

Everyone there is identifiable by name and adress and passport

Bit foolish to start nicking stuff don't you think?

Whilst there are some instances of thieving on aircraft

And it's well documented

It must be said that in the main most people getting on an air craft do so with one intent

To get somewhere else

They are not on the rob

They are as evidenced by this thread short tempered , hyperbolic

Suspicious and over protective of their stuff

This bd mannered bloke was just that

Bad mannered and ill considerate

There is nothing to suggest tat he or any OTH passenger was going to pinch the bag

Yes keep all your stuff in line of sight for obvious reasons

But why not just ring the call bell

Say to the FA that your bag containing cash , medication etc had been removed and placed elsewhere and you would like it returned

Edited: 22 December 2012, 23:29
Rockaway, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,851 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
59. Re: Etiquette Question Overhead Storage

I put my handbag in the seat pocket in front of me, after removing all the magazines and such and putting *those* into the overhead bin. Bulkheads have the pocket on the wall in front of them as well.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
323 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
60. Re: Etiquette Question Overhead Storage

Lucia,

On the contrary, theft on airplanes is quite common. That is why I always use the bin space across the aisle which I can see at all times. I know more than a dozen coworkers that have experienced theft at the airport/ on planes. A plane is NOT a safe place to leave belongings unattended.