We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Connection thru Amsterdam or Paris CDG?

Tallahassee, Florida
Level Contributor
1,945 posts
Save Topic
Connection thru Amsterdam or Paris CDG?

I'm looking at flights for my trip to Paris in April and I found 2 Delta flights that I like flying from Atlanta to Marseille. One with the connection in Amsterdam and the other through Paris CDG - both have a layover of 3.5 hours (and there really isn't a price difference

between the two).

It's been a while since I've flown through Amsterdam but my memory is that was an easy airport to maneuver through. But does it make more sense to go through CDG since I'm ending up in Marseille and if something unforeseen happens it would be easier to get from Paris to Marseille than from Amsterdam?

Thanks for your advice.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,862 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Connection thru Amsterdam or Paris CDG?

Amsterdam.

KLM & AF are part of the same group and both countries are within Schengen

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Connection thru Amsterdam or Paris CDG?

AMS - no doubt.

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
19,049 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Connection thru Amsterdam or Paris CDG?

Another vote for AMS.

Tallahassee, Florida
Level Contributor
1,945 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Connection thru Amsterdam or Paris CDG?

Thank you so much - my instinct was telling me AMS but I wasn't sure.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
17,489 posts
403 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Connection thru Amsterdam or Paris CDG?

CDG with DL is challenging connection. AMS is easy.

La Crosse, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
701 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Connection thru Amsterdam or Paris CDG?

If you connect from the US on Delta to an Air France flight in CDG, you will probably have to change buildings even though the AF flight will say it is in "Terminal 2". In September we had to fly through CDG on our way to Florence. We had to go outside to catch a shuttle bus, and it was cold and raining. Changing flights in AMS is much better. You may have to walk, but you never go outside. The shopping and restaurants are better in AMS. Unless there is a considerable cost savings, we fly through AMS.

Milford, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,271 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Connection thru Amsterdam or Paris CDG?

AMS..... I've connected through both from CVG and find CDG to be a bit more challenging.

Boston...
Level Contributor
12,883 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Connection thru Amsterdam or Paris CDG?

I would agree that Amsterdam is preferable though I'll add that, even with 3.5 hours transit time, don't dawdle once you deplane. Schipol is a huge airport and the walk to your onward gate could be considerable.

It may be common sense, and if it's obvious forgive me, but better to be in the vicinity of the onward gate and then stroll if you like.

Tallahassee, Florida
Level Contributor
1,945 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Connection thru Amsterdam or Paris CDG?

Thanks everyone! Agree with you HappyGoin - I always prefer to get right to the gate first and then I can stroll around in that area.

I have to say I'm surprised at how hard it is to find connections that are at least 3 hours long. Even on Delta's website it won't show a flight that I know exists leaving Tallahassee 1 1/2 hours before the one they're suggesting (with a 50 minute connection time which to me is playing Russian Roulette!)

Thanks for all your great advice.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Connection thru Amsterdam or Paris CDG?

Amstersam all the way, better organization, better shopping and they have cheaper restaurant prices.