We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

United Premium Plus

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,320 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
United Premium Plus

Thinking of paying the upgrade fee from CA to Honolulu. It'd be about $150 each way for 2 legs. I may just opt to upgrade the longer leg of the trip to HNL. I read that United tries to block middle seats so not only do you get more legroom but also some elbow room too (provided the flight is not sold out). I would pay for more elbow room over legroom. Is this true?

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
10,857 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: United Premium Plus

It's called "Economy Plus" or E+. Totally not true that they block the middle seats; they are just usually the last chosen.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: United Premium Plus

they used to but not any more.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
29,954 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: United Premium Plus

Economy Plus gets you 3-5" extra legroom. That's it. Is it worth it? IMO yes, although $150 each way does sound rather on the high side. I've seen E+ fees going for $100 on transatlantic flights.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,320 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: United Premium Plus

Ok thanks everyone. I'm not positive on the pricing. Been awhile since I looked. I think it was $39 to SFO, then for some reason I remember $119 to HNL but I'll have to check again. I would imagine flights to Hawaii are pretty jam packed year round so chances of having an empty seat next to me are slim. I'm going in mid-March so not a slow time at all.

Edited: 30 December 2012, 22:00
Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,578 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: United Premium Plus

Hi,

"I would imagine flights to Hawaii are pretty jam packed year round so chances of having an empty seat next to me are slim."

==> Correct.. Don't forget that while there may be seats unsold at the time of departure, thus giving the appearance of empty seats.. the airline still accepts non-revenue passengers- or employees of the airline or other airlines who travel when there are open unsold seats at little to no charge..

It's not uncommon at all for popular routes like west coast->Honolulu to have 30 to as many as 50 such passengers standing by for an open seat.

Travel Safe,

BC
Level Contributor
38 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: United Premium Plus

has anyone traveled with United airlines from Singapore to San Francisco? I am looking at an 18hr flight no stop... any suggestions?

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
10,857 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: United Premium Plus

^^^^^^

You should have started a new thread with your question, which is unrelated to the original question.

UA does not fly nonstop SIN-SFO. No one does.

Edited: 31 December 2012, 00:43
Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
29,954 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: United Premium Plus

travelgirl1949,

Please do as Gracie says and start a new thread with your question. This thread is about domestic flights and it's not fair on the OP to sidetrack their thread. In your case you will need to connect in either HKG or NRT. Start a new thread, with your proposed schedule and we can help.

BC
Level Contributor
38 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: United Premium Plus

I am new using TA, I will figure out how to ask my question using the proper route. Thank you.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
29,954 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: United Premium Plus

travelgirl1949,

Just sent you a personal message. Look forward to your thread.