We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flight delay united airlines

nottingham
Level Contributor
99 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Flight delay united airlines

Hi

Just wondering if anyone can help with any information. 4 of us travelled to Memphis in late September with united Airlines. Departing from Birmingham uk to Newark New York then a connection to Memphis. We were delayed at Birmingham for 12 hours, which we were informed was due to the aircraft needing a part to be fitted, this could be done within a few hours, but then the crew would be out of time? Therefore we could not depArt until they were rested. As a consequence we spent 14 hours At Birmingham airport missing 1 day of our 8 day holiday. Are we entitled to any compensation from united airlines and if so what is the best approach.

B'ham
Level Contributor
5 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
41. Re: Flight delay united airlines

I am pleased to say that we have been successful in our claim for compensation and received the payment into our bank account this week. There have been no quibbles from United on this occasion.

Belfast, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
42. Re: Flight delay united airlines

Can you give me an e-mail address to forward a claim to, i sent e-mail on the 4th Feb to United and have had no reply. Not sure i had the best e-mail address

Thanks David

nottingham
Level Contributor
99 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
43. Re: Flight delay united airlines

Hi David

I was just about to delete all my info as I didn't get anywhere with the claim ! Surprise suprise ! just found it anyway. Email customercare@ United.com . My first email to them was 29th dec 2012 got a reply 12th February 2013. Good luck.

Regards

Belfast, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
44. Re: Flight delay united airlines

Thanks, I will let you know how I progress !!

David

nottingham
Level Contributor
99 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
45. Re: Flight delay united airlines

Hi David

Did you have any luck with this claim. Reading about some changes and court judgments recently has made me think I may have given up to quickly. Would be interested to know how you got on with your claim

Hope Valley, United...
1 post
Save Reply
46. Re: Flight delay united airlines

Hi,

My wife and I were booked with United on a flight (Sept 2012) from Manchester UK to Washington DC that didn't fly because of technical problems that meant the incoming flight never arrived. Finally got to Washington a day late.

I made an EU compensation claim that was refused, but United did send 2 x 500USD vouchers that expired in Nov 2013 that we were unable to use.

After the Appeal Court decision in Jet2.com v Huzar last month, I wrote again to United, and have just received an offer of 600euros cash each (the appropriate EU compensation) or 2 x 1000USD United vouchers.

So success! If you have previously been refused because 'technical problems' were claimed to be exceptional circumstances, the try again. Jet2.com v Huzar is now UK law.

Jonathan

nottingham
Level Contributor
99 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
47. Re: Flight delay united airlines

Hi Johnathan

Many thanks for your reply, we were thinking of doing the same. So glad you were successful.

Kind regards

3 posts
Save Reply
48. Re: Flight delay united airlines

Would EU261 be applicable on a multi legged trip from the US to UK where the delay was on one of the internal legs?

I was flying from LIH to LHR via HLU and SFO.

I was stuck in Honolulu for 14 hours as the crew trimmed out, despite the flight only being 45 mins late commitment in to Honolulu.

Had to spend the night sleeping in the airport concours as no hotels were available and check in had closed.

United have offers $300 voucher and lots of apologies.

As I'm never going to use United again, it's of no use and a pitiful offer

Thanks

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
2,526 posts
Save Reply
49. Re: Flight delay united airlines

<< Would EU261 be applicable on a multi legged trip from the US to UK where the delay was on one of the internal legs? >>

EU compensation applies

1) EU Carrier on flights departing or arriving the EU

2) non-EU carrier on flights departing from the EU only

As you were not on an EU carrier, the only way EU261 would apply is on flights that were delayed or cancelled departing from the EU

Madrid
Level Contributor
3,184 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
50. Re: Flight delay united airlines

I was flying from LIH to LHR via HLU and SFO.

Sorry no.EU261 only applies to United outbound from London