We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Air Asia Started Charging New Baggage Fees for Each Sector

Adelaide
Level Contributor
3 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Air Asia Started Charging New Baggage Fees for Each Sector

I just booked an Air Asia ticket from Melbourne to Bangkok as a single ticket.

However since there is a stop of for 2 hours in Kl airport it appears on my statement they have just started charging two lots of baggage checkin fees, i guess once in melbourne then again in Kl.

This has not happened to me before with air asia so i guess some bright spark has decided to make extra money from their passengers. If i had booked two separate tickets i can understand it but not with a single ticket. NO other airline does this to you as far as I know.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
42,503 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Air Asia Started Charging New Baggage Fees for Each Sector

I'm surprised that you only picked this up on your statement as all charges are usually shown, taxes, seats, luggage, food etc. before you commit to confirming your booking. Has the total charge on your statement increased from the flight confirmation price? If not it may well be that the various items have been shown seperately on your statement.

Adelaide
Level Contributor
3 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Air Asia Started Charging New Baggage Fees for Each Sector

Yes i noticed the baggage checkin fee being charged twice before i commited to the booking but it was essential to book the flight so i thought i'd pay it then query it afterwards. I am just waiting for a reply from AirAsia now. I am sure thought that is a recent policy change as i have flown with AirAsia over 50 times but never seen this double checkin baggage fee before.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
42,503 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Air Asia Started Charging New Baggage Fees for Each Sector

I suppose they may argue that although you booked on a FlyThru ticket they are two separate flights and so two check ins. It will be interesting to see what they say. I'm not sure they ever said when they introduced FlyThru that it would make flights cheaper, just more convenient because your baggage goes straight through and if your first flight is delayed and you miss your connection they will get you on the next, neither of which is the case on non FlyThru flights.

Palmetto, Florida
Level Contributor
5,800 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Air Asia Started Charging New Baggage Fees for Each Sector

That's bloody stinky of them.

And stingy.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
42,503 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Air Asia Started Charging New Baggage Fees for Each Sector

That's business! If you know the price, what it's for, BEFORE you book, it suits you for departure times etc., is better or competitive with others, then it's your decision whether to book or not.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,659 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Air Asia Started Charging New Baggage Fees for Each Sector

Hi,

re #3 "I suppose they may argue that although you booked on a FlyThru ticket they are two separate flights and so two check ins."

==> Under the FAQ's for the Fly Thru service, they speak to this issue. FAQ #23 says in part:

"23. If I have excess baggage at the point of origin, do I need to pay for either sectors or both?

Excess baggage and/or any other relevant fees payable must be paid for both sectors at the point of origin."

AirAsia FAQ:

http://www.airasia.com/ask/template.do?id=517

This pretty much matches what I've known their FT service to be.. It's really only a connection "convenience service" so-to-speak, for those going thru KUL (note that FT isn't available system-wide) and wants to eliminated the need to: a) clear customs/Immigration at the transit point, and b) reclaim checked bags at the transit point and c) check-in again..

It's really never been advertised (as I know it) as a cost-saving measure and I don't recall they've ever had it set up such that the 2nd leg of a legitimate FT sector was fee waived with respect to baggage fees..

I do know you can't have baggage allowance mis-matches, in that both legs must be the same.. You can't (as example) buy a 25kg for leg #1, then buy only a 15kg for the 2nd leg.. The system will prompt you to match them to either 25, 15 or something else-- but they've got to be the same-- and are charged like that x2; once per sector.

Travel Safe,

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
42,503 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Air Asia Started Charging New Baggage Fees for Each Sector

So in response to OP this is not "... some bright spark has decided to make extra money from their passengers."

Adelaide
Level Contributor
3 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Air Asia Started Charging New Baggage Fees for Each Sector

Ok well i guess i just pay it and keep quiet. I would like to point out i also just purchased a ticket with Scoot Airlines from Bangkok to Sydney with a two hour stopover in Singapore , and a change of plane and there was not an extra baggage bookin fee.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,659 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Air Asia Started Charging New Baggage Fees for Each Sector

Hi,

"I would like to point out i also just purchased a ticket with Scoot Airlines from Bangkok to Sydney with a two hour stopover in Singapore , and a change of plane and there was not an extra baggage bookin fee."

==> Yup.. Each airline is different.. Scoot also has nearly full interline ability (that is to combine a Scoot flight with flights of other non-SQ carriers, on the same ticket) which AirAsia doesn't do.. These are all things that ultimately factored into the fare.

This makes side-by-side comparisons of AirAsia to someone like Scoot a bit misleading as these two really aren't alike... The closest true comparable to Scoot in terms of set-up, structure and operations, would be (IMHO) Thai's Thai Smile as both allow interline abilities, have 2-cabin configurations, etc.

Travel Safe,

Nannup, Australia
Level Contributor
3,652 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Air Asia Started Charging New Baggage Fees for Each Sector

Without making specific bookings it's hard to be precise, but Air Asia's website shows a 15kg bag from Melbourne to Bangkok at $A34. The difference between a 'seat only' fare and a seat+ bag fare from Bangkok to Sydney on Scoot to be approx $A37.

As is often the case with LCCs pricing is a lot to do with perception and marketing.