We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sewing Machines and the TSA

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Sewing Machines and the TSA

light weight pfaff as hand luggage (i know, i know...don't ask!).

needle will be removed.

google search is inconclusive as far as TSA is concerned.

other stories mostly say ok but some have had problems.

cant afford to have it confiscated nor risk damage in checked in luggage. 3 flights from mid west to australia but only one tsa check ie. at departure point which is small regional airport.

any experience/thoughts?

Shelbyville...
Level Contributor
1,429 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sewing Machines and the TSA

How much does it weigh??

I've put a travel iron in my carry-on and didn't have any questions asked, but I'm guessing my iron is smaller than your sewing machine.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sewing Machines and the TSA

weight and dimensions are not a problem....just the question about the security issue.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,416 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sewing Machines and the TSA

tsa.gov/traveler-information/prohibited-items Your machine is acceptable in checked or hand baggage, according to information at this page.

Without the needle its only potential for aggro would be if you were to drop it on someone or throw it at someone (both of which are unlikely I suspect), but the same could be said for some heavier laptops - which are acceptable.

I can't see how it would be deemed a non-starter, but some Thousands Standing Around staff seem to write or interpret the rules as they see fit. If you plan to take a laptop as well, be prepared to show the page linked above.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
14,002 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sewing Machines and the TSA

Love that link TP.

Particularly love:

Screwdrivers (seven inches or less in length) OK in carry on.

Cos of course ya cant maim or kill someone with 7 inches or less - can you. It was only measly little 1 inch box cutters that gave the Thousands Standing Around a job more than a decade ago ;)

5. Re: Sewing Machines and the TSA

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 04 January 2013, 14:35
kentucky
Level Contributor
5,713 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sewing Machines and the TSA

I've had good success getting email response from TSA in some other matters. Print the response to accompany machine.

If you're toting it for someone else--how nice of you!

Shelbyville...
Level Contributor
1,429 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sewing Machines and the TSA

lien...I was asking how heavy it was because you said you had 3 flights before reaching your destinatin. That's 2 connections to make and if it's heavy it could be cumbersome. I sew and have a couple of sewing machines, but I would not want to lug them around with me very far. They must be making them much more light weight now.

I'm wasn't sure what you are referring to as "hand luggage".

Agree with "kyshel" in obtaining an email response and having it with you.

Good Luck and happy travels

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
Level Contributor
8,660 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sewing Machines and the TSA

Even the needle will be fine.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
6,643 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sewing Machines and the TSA

Re# 724 "I'm wasn't sure what you are referring to as "hand luggage".

"Hand luggage"is a term often used by Aussies instead of "carry on" .

"Carry on" is what some people do when they are not allowd to take on what they want as hand luggage... (Not referring to lien :-) )

Edited: 04 January 2013, 20:07
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
Level Contributor
8,660 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sewing Machines and the TSA

And dead animals.