We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Using frequent flyer programs.

Cooloola Cove
Level Contributor
41 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Using frequent flyer programs.

I am a member of "Skywards", "Krisflyer" and "Dynasty Flyer".

I am not trying to redeem points but wish to know when booking a flight with a partner airline of any of the above, where do you insert your membership No. of eg: "Krisflyer" to book a "United" flight ?

Nannup, Australia
Level Contributor
3,652 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Using frequent flyer programs.

IME there is a box on one of the pages in the booking process that invites you to select your FF program (usually from a drop down menu of affiliates) and then insert your membership #. Probably slightly different for every airline though.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
84,646 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Using frequent flyer programs.

I know that, when I used United points last year to book an Air Canada flight, I had to use the United web site. Same thing many years ago using Qantas points for BA and Cathay flights, I had to use the Qantas web site.

Nannup, Australia
Level Contributor
3,652 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Using frequent flyer programs.

Nick - you missed the bit where OP says he's not trying to redeem points.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
51,187 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Using frequent flyer programs.

Airline websites vary. Many of them though allow you to insert partner airline frequent flyer information on the booking page somewhere. You just have to look to see if it's available.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
84,646 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Using frequent flyer programs.

>>Nick - you missed the bit where OP says he's not trying to redeem points.<<

Oh drat. Yes, I missed that bit. Sorry.

I agree that, if an airline is part of a frequent flyer program, there is usually somewhere in the booking process to provide this information.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
16,872 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Using frequent flyer programs.

As others have stated, for most alliance partners, it is clear on the booking page - but, I've been faced with situations where my record did not show my partner's # and I've called the reservations number for my country to add it in. Last resort would be to add it in during check-in online or at the airport.

Cooloola Cove
Level Contributor
41 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Using frequent flyer programs.

Hi Guy`s,

thank you for your advice. I guess that first I should look more closely at the booking pages of all of the partners. I think that I should also take my member cards with me to the check in counter and present them as bk_t1 as suggested . Thank you once again for your help.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
Level Contributor
9,231 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Using frequent flyer programs.

You should always check your boarding pass to ensure you're info is recorded. You can always ask at the gate desk or at check-in for your specific plan to be entered.

When I fly to Perth I do the big slugs on United and the final legs on either QF or SQ (QF is the cheaper path in economy, SQ for business BTW). For SQ I enter my MileagePlus number as I book the ticket. For QF I provide them my AA number at the gate/check-in.

Cooloola Cove
Level Contributor
41 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Using frequent flyer programs.

Hi GeoMedic, thank you for your input. I will indeed check my boarding pass and also make sure at checkin that my plan is recorded.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
51,187 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Using frequent flyer programs.

Also, keep your boarding pass after your flight. Some airlines require you to submit the BP or related info to claim missing mileage. I had seen at times that even if my FF# is on the BP, I still didn't get miles credited to my account.