We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Refund or credit on a flight due to changes in military orde

South Portland...
Level Contributor
89 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Refund or credit on a flight due to changes in military orde

My husband is a reservist and has had his orders changed and now cannot go with me on a planned trip. All flights are on American Airlines (not my favorite air line by the way) but I booked on Travelocity. Anyone know if it is worth attempting to get a refund, credit or name change so someone else can go with me? I cna get documentation, no issue. Do I go to AA or Travelocity?

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Refund or credit on a flight due to changes in military orde

You booked with Travelocity, so contact them.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,592 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Refund or credit on a flight due to changes in military orde

Doesn't your husband get compensation for altered plans?

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
9,574 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Refund or credit on a flight due to changes in military orde

Compensation from the US government for a change in a reservists orders would be highly unlikely Alanrow.

Travelocity "might" issue a credit but I have a feeling these are non refundable non transferable tickets. It certainly would not hurt to ask but for future travel, book directly with the airline (probably be the same price anyway) as they can be more flexable than any online third party booker would be.

Edited: 08 January 2013, 13:33
Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,592 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Refund or credit on a flight due to changes in military orde

< Compensation from the US government for a change in a reservists orders would be highly unlikely Alanrow. >

I'm somewhat surprised as UK troops received compensation when their leave was cancelled to provide cover for the Olympics - and they are active servicepeople not reservists.

South Portland...
Level Contributor
89 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Refund or credit on a flight due to changes in military orde

There is no way the US government, especially right now, will compensate us. His pay as a reservist is low- he does this for other reasons.

I booked with Travelocity because I became frustrated with American Airlines trying to arrange the flights.

Does anyone have any experience with it that can give me clues. Once he is on active duty I can ask a JAG officer to contact them but by then it will be very close to the travel time and I don't want to wait.

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
35,007 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Refund or credit on a flight due to changes in military orde

Won't your travel insurance cover?

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
9,574 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Refund or credit on a flight due to changes in military orde

Forget the JAG, you need to deal with this yourself. This is not a legal issue at all. Your contract is quite clear however they "may" bend a bit because he is in the miltary but they only way to find out is contact travelocty yourself.

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
6,810 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Refund or credit on a flight due to changes in military orde

Call Travelocity and see what they can do. Even though you probably can't get a refund, you can probably change it to a later date by paying the change fee.

If they won't cooperate, I would contact AA directly. They can always override the third party if they want. I've done it in the past with other third party bookings. I think Delta used to charge me the $10 fee my corporate travel agent would, but they were still much easier to deal with than the travel agent.

Actually I would probably start with AA. They are really big on advertising about supporting the troops right now. Call and explain his orders were changed and you would like to put the ticket "on-hold" for future use.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
10,857 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Refund or credit on a flight due to changes in military orde

Highly doubt OP has travel insurance. It's always worth a try calling AA and asking, but AA/Travelocity will probably treat this as any other nonrefundable ticket. You can cancel the ticket, pay the change fee and have the remaining ticket balance to use on another flight.

There's no need to involve JAG. The terms of the ticket were clearly given to you upon purchase, and you agreed to them and their terms when you purchased.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,568 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Refund or credit on a flight due to changes in military orde

Hi,

I agree with the others... The JAG isn't a plus for you-- not legal; therefore isn't their "domain" and would probably be seen as kind of overkill for this matter.

I will say that in this day and age for US carriers at least, active duty service personnel, do get a bit more "status" be that things like special baggage allowance when traveling to/from/on official orders, boarding order, etc., than they have or did in years past.

So... I'd approach Travelocity *nicely* and see what they can do-- if they can't or won't, then *nicely* approach American..

I think you should first see what the rules are to the ticket in question-- so you know what your starting point is.. from here, I'd make a *reasonable* request for discretionary consideration.

I suspect your higher odds is asking for the value to be retained for his (the named passenger) future use.. I think a "cash" refund or a name transfer is lower odds requests.

Travel Safe,