We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

taking food on board

2 posts
Save Topic
taking food on board

has anyone else taken own food on scoot flights

flying gold coast to singapore next week haven't prepaid for meal as intend to buy a snack at airport (flight 9.25a-3.15p)

have checked scoot website which stipulates own food can not be taken on board

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: taking food on board

Yes, I think that's what's been asked as well.

Do they enforce the policy, did anyone take their own food and if so what happened, did you get away with it or was it confiscated. So the op understands the policy and is wondering if she needs to adhere to it.

Shoalhaven...
Level Contributor
2,777 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: taking food on board

Ellensam, don't take offence at the remarks made by those with little else to do in their day.

In answer to your question, we flew Scoot a few months ago, and like most people, we discovered that the food supplied was edible but unfulfilling.

Just like any airline (regardless of their T&C) as long as you are discreet, there is never an issue with taking your own food. A simple sandwich, piece fruit, muffin will not raise any issues whatsoever.

The only time you will face an issue is if you take a Big mac meal / bucket of KFC or family size bag of chips.

Hope you have a great trip. Remember Scoot fares are low, but in my opinion the overall experience exceeded that of QF and 777 SQ flights.

As a tip, pay the extra $25 per person for the Superseats (down the back where they are 2 seaters). Best of luck

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
7 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: taking food on board

I have taken food on board in the past & had no problems. I was not aware that it was not permitted to take food on board, in fact, I don't think there is an airline regulation on this matter.

I took hard boiled eggs, cheese, celery, carrots, all in a small ziplock bag. Also brought with me a couple of containers with dry soup, then asked the cabin attendant for hot water to mix it with. Another time it was lentil salad and some almonds. If you avoid liquids or sauces and take your meal in the small ziplock bag, I believe you will be fine. Good luck & don't forget to tell us how it went.

Buckinghamshire...
Level Contributor
3,039 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: taking food on board

I flew on a different airline which had the same policy, even though I had prepaid for my 2 meals which were very basic and bland (I tried to eat them) and it was 14 hr flight.... I brought with me some snacks. Their policy was you couldn't bring your own food and drink, but even though I tucked into my mini cheddars and all the other people, they (FA's) didn't say anything or even seem to care. They had the same policy on their website too about no food or drinks.

Now, if the airline are strict or you do get caught out, I guess if you should bring something they don't already sell, you could as suggested develop and allergy such as MSG, nuts, dairy etc. And say that the reason you brought your own was because you know you can eat it as you've had it before i.e. tried and tested. Then ask them can they guarantee that their food is free from said allergy. In most cases I guess a person wouldn't want to say yes in case something happened to you.

Worse comes to worse what could they do? If you are hungry and can't eat their food, will they let you starve? Probably not.

Just don't take smelly food so other pax complain and bring you to the attention of the FA's.

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
Level Contributor
17,588 posts
280 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: taking food on board

"Ellensam, don't take offence at the remarks made by those with little else to do in their day."

___

Not sure what the relevance is if someone has gotten away with it before. How do we know that Scoot haven't recently issued a new directive to cabin crew to enforce this rule?

Edited: 09 January 2013, 11:25
Shoalhaven...
Level Contributor
2,777 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: taking food on board

Sunmagic, the comment is based at those who seem to think it is OK to use sarcasm toward newer and less experienced members, who are simply asking a question.

Being in the industry, i can assure you that at no time would/should a FA confront a passenger in regards to snacks/food as long as they are being reasonable and non-intrusive. However, in saying that, some European low cost carriers are defying that trend of late. Asian LCC are yet to overcome their generally polite and non-confrontational manner, so it will be a long way off yet.

I have seen people try to take McD and KFC onboard, and I think that is unacceptable - however now a Japanese airline has decided to provide KFC on long Haul flights on a trial basis - where is this world heading.

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
Level Contributor
17,588 posts
280 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: taking food on board

"Being in the industry, i can assure you that at no time would/should a FA confront a passenger in regards to snacks/food as long as they are being reasonable and non-intrusive."

___

You may be in the industry but there has been several different posts on here regarding passengers being pulled on Air Asia for taking their own food on board.

I don't see the replies being sarcastic - the OP did even answer her own question in the origian post.

Buckinghamshire...
Level Contributor
3,039 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: taking food on board

My post was about Air Asia. Not one passenger in my vicinity who was eating their own food was asked not to eat it. I personally found their choice some what limited.

"I don't see the replies being sarcastic - the OP did even answer her own question in the origian post."

Well, OP actually asked if anyone else had taken their own food rather than if it was actually allowed.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
7,074 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: taking food on board

Sorry Ellersham but for some of us we have a cultural requirement to take the "p" at any oportunity. It's not personal and between Ozzies and Kiwi it's even a sign of acceptance.

Surfers Paradise...
Level Contributor
63 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: taking food on board

Just a little I input, I just flew scoot from the Gold Coast with the family and took 5 footling subway sandwiches with me, no one said a word and we ate them in full view of the flight attendants. I didn't even know you are not supposed to take food on board...there were other people eating their own food also...