We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

British Airways charge for seat reservation

Washington, D.C.
Level Contributor
1 post
27 reviews
Save Topic
British Airways charge for seat reservation

I recently booked a ticket on BA to London, and after I had paid for the eticket, it said that I could select my seat (a regular seat, not anything extra-wide) 24 hrs before the flight, or pay $42 to reserve a seat now (each way!). So--one runs the risk of a 7+ hr flight being seated next to a lavatory if one waits for the check-in window. I called BA to ask about the policy and said I could buy a comparable ticket at the same price on Virgin Atlantic or United without having to pay to reserve a seat. They wouldn't budge--said that's been their policy since 2009. Needless to say, I cancelled the ticket (it was withing the 24-hour window). Why would anyone subject themselves to traveling on BA with such a policy?

Level Contributor
8,641 posts
240 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: British Airways charge for seat reservation

I have spent an hour with now 3 different agents. I am going to step away from it. They have no seats to assign and will have to find us a seat. My guess is in a couple of weeks that seat map will open up again. The last agent was fairly nice and understood the situation and put a note to give us the bulkhead when open. If this was a very long haul flight I would be more concerned. Yes the website is clear but they don't back it up and it is a flexible ticket.

UK
Level Contributor
968 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: British Airways charge for seat reservation

You want to call and gt your money back for seat selection.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,273 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: British Airways charge for seat reservation

In Club Europe I wouldn't bother with paying to assign a seat, they're all reasonably equal, although it depends how much you love/despise a window/aisle seat I guess. In CE as long as I've not got a bulkhead seat I'm happy.

What's the booking class/fare basis of your ticket?

Level Contributor
8,641 posts
240 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: British Airways charge for seat reservation

For OP2002...only fare class I could find is D. The only thing I can figure is that it is a fully refundable special business class fare and is the only kind they sell on this market.

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
20,363 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: British Airways charge for seat reservation

gene

From the BA website link I provided earlier

"The following selling classes mean that you have booked a flexible ticket and that you are entitled to book your seat in advance free of charge: Y, W, C, J, F"

Level Contributor
8,641 posts
240 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: British Airways charge for seat reservation

Good that is fine...I can't even book one for a fee!

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
4 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: British Airways charge for seat reservation

I completely agree with the original post. This is a classic bait and switch--the airline price appears next to others in comparison quoters of airlines. Many of those other airlines do not charge. BA execs know this. The high road for a 4 star airline is to include the option in the price. No different than banks with fees hidden in the small print. Saying it is OK because others do it does not absolve. A bad corporate policy is a bad policy regardless of how many participate.

Frequent fliers who travel enough to warrant preferred status have different situations. Like Kestrel, I just booked an international flight with my family, then I find I will need to pay another $400US or we may not sit together for two 9 hour flights? Extortion. Obviously I must pay it, or cancel.

Something for BA to consider--allow free or discounted selection for longer flights.

Kestrel18 you are correct to be upset and cancel. Good for you for exercising your right to do so and then posting. Thanks to this thread I discovered I can obtain a complete refund with a certain time period, and now I can make an informed decision.

Ayr, Scotland
Level Contributor
2,679 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: British Airways charge for seat reservation

BA's frequent fliers are able to choose their seats earlier than everyone else (for free!)

I choose my seats at -24 hours for free and have always been happy with seats chosen. In fact, twice I have managed to get emergency exit seats for free at this time.

UK
Level Contributor
968 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: British Airways charge for seat reservation

Tim O, surly before spending the money to book the flights you should have looked into and made your "informed decision" then.

Another typical, I did not look into and it is not how I "thought" it would be post.

The policy works fine on short haul and long haul, BA should leave it as it is.

Madrid
Level Contributor
3,245 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: British Airways charge for seat reservation

Frequent fliers who travel enough to warrant preferred status

And that is exactly what we get with BA.That is precisely why this policy is in place,so that Gold and Silver card holders get a good choice of seats when they book,not just the leftover dross.

BA will not change this policy,it makes them far more money from their frequent flyers,and as a bonus weeds out the occasional winger.