We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

British Airways charge for seat reservation

Washington, D.C.
Level Contributor
1 post
27 reviews
Save Topic
British Airways charge for seat reservation

I recently booked a ticket on BA to London, and after I had paid for the eticket, it said that I could select my seat (a regular seat, not anything extra-wide) 24 hrs before the flight, or pay $42 to reserve a seat now (each way!). So--one runs the risk of a 7+ hr flight being seated next to a lavatory if one waits for the check-in window. I called BA to ask about the policy and said I could buy a comparable ticket at the same price on Virgin Atlantic or United without having to pay to reserve a seat. They wouldn't budge--said that's been their policy since 2009. Needless to say, I cancelled the ticket (it was withing the 24-hour window). Why would anyone subject themselves to traveling on BA with such a policy?

UK
Level Contributor
968 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
41. Re: British Airways charge for seat reservation

Joe, I may take it that it comes with a remote, but I do check what it is like as it is a deciding factor, yes seriously.

But again, my point is people are spending sometimes thousands and not looking into it. The seat selection policy is so easy to find on BA's site.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
14,433 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
42. Re: British Airways charge for seat reservation

"The airline will not guarantee when I log in 24 hours in advance we will be together, they told me so. "

Strictly speaking you are never guaranteed this, even if you prebook seats. If you're flying in economy your complaint is much ado about nothing. They don't deliberately split of groups and if you select your seats when online check-in opens (which, again, is free) I'd say the chance of finding two seats together is pretty much 100%.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
43. Re: British Airways charge for seat reservation

Joe, I may take it that it comes with a remote, but I do check what it is like as it is a deciding factor, yes seriously.

But again, my point is people are spending sometimes thousands and not looking into it. The seat selection policy is so easy to find on BA's site.

-----

You'd be in a very small minority checking the ergonomics of the remote though.

You won't find it if you don't look for it and you won't look for if you believe all tv's come with a remote / all airlines allow seat selection.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
4 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
44. Re: British Airways charge for seat reservation

As I said, I always knew I could cancel within 24 hours no penalty, a TV is a different purchase, tickets are much closer to being a commodity.

Mick, you are so focused on the "buyer beware" angle. I get it, I should have read all the fine print on every page of their website. But I am objecting to the policy. As Joe says this is a new phenomenon, for years we took it for granted. People will soon expect it, but...right now...see my link...BA is one of the few to charge, they charge more than others, and their price without the charge places them in the competitive bracket on quoting sites.

In other words, it appears quite by design. Deceptive, bait and switch tactic.

As for rapid...I was kidding, I do not expect a policy change. Does your Gold club come with a badge, so the rest of us know to step aside for you?

Madrid
Level Contributor
3,259 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
45. Re: British Airways charge for seat reservation

As for rapid...I was kidding, I do not expect a policy change. Does your Gold club come with a badge, so the rest of us know to step aside for you?

Not necessary,I have beaters with long canes going in front to clear a path.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
14,433 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
46. Re: British Airways charge for seat reservation

"BA is one of the few to charge, they charge more than others, and their price without the charge places them in the competitive bracket on quoting sites."

That certainly depends on which day and route you are comparing. I can think of plenty of examples where BA are more expensive than several other competitors.

Airlines are different, some charge extra for things others provide for free and vice versa. With BA you'll basically have an open bar on TA routes and you can check your luggage without paying extra. Other airlines charge extra for these things. It's not deceptive or a bait and switch, it's simply different products being offered. I'm sorry you failed to look into what you were buying but it's not BA's fault.

Edited: 03 March 2013, 22:11
Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
11,353 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
47. Re: British Airways charge for seat reservation

From Washington to London with charges for pre-seat selection ... BA & Air Canada

With no charge .... KLM , Lufthansa & United

Cannot pre select ... Air France & Swiss.

Big variation in standard charges, making none of them standard really.

The thing the OP is complaining about is the bait and switch ... however BA still allow you to choose a seat, just not early. Where's the bait & switch?

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
48. Re: British Airways charge for seat reservation

Able58, add to that;

Virgin, free at 90 days except for selected seats which cost more, free at 30 days for travel agent booked seats.

American, free for selected seats (not the best ones), others seats cost more. FF elite levels get preferential treatment (just like BA and most other airlines)

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
11,353 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
49. Re: British Airways charge for seat reservation

joeintheuk ... Strange that because Virgin Australia advance seat selection is only available to eligible guests both domestic and international. And this is where a lot of people come unstuck ... presuming ALL airlines operate in the same manner. One of the reasons I like to fly Qantas where I can is because I know the system but if we are flying with another carrier we check all the Ts & Cs just in case.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
4 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
50. Re: British Airways charge for seat reservation

rapidex: LOL

able: respectfully, I would refer you to my posts where I clearly explain why in my personal experience it felt like a bait and switch. By the way, same flight on Air Canada, no charge for seats, lower price. Same with American (though I am not a fan of American by any means).

I realize I have inadvertently posted on the British Airways Fanclub Forum, but facts are facts:

airfarewatchdog.com/blog/…

As the writer says: "Long a perk that came without charge--and one that costs the airline nothing extra to provide--it's now just another profit center."

I surrender, and won't post more, I will turn my attention to where to eat in London?

I know better than to ask here or I may end up dining at the Heathrow BA Club Lounge.