We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

British Airways charge for seat reservation

Washington, D.C.
Level Contributor
1 post
27 reviews
Save Topic
British Airways charge for seat reservation

I recently booked a ticket on BA to London, and after I had paid for the eticket, it said that I could select my seat (a regular seat, not anything extra-wide) 24 hrs before the flight, or pay $42 to reserve a seat now (each way!). So--one runs the risk of a 7+ hr flight being seated next to a lavatory if one waits for the check-in window. I called BA to ask about the policy and said I could buy a comparable ticket at the same price on Virgin Atlantic or United without having to pay to reserve a seat. They wouldn't budge--said that's been their policy since 2009. Needless to say, I cancelled the ticket (it was withing the 24-hour window). Why would anyone subject themselves to traveling on BA with such a policy?

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
206 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
71. Re: British Airways charge for seat reservation

So, as you discovered, seats are assignable in business class- you mean they are not available for free until 24 hours before departure. And if the ticket was fully flex you wouldn't have been charged so you must not have purchased a fully flex ticket.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
72. Re: British Airways charge for seat reservation

This is really annoying.

But what it does mean is that you can book seats early and be guarenteed a good seat.

However, if you have alot of family members travelling it's very expensive, and you are at a disadvantage as alot of the good seats will have been taken because of the procedure, before all the seats are open 24 hours before hand.

The price is a massive issue, it's very expensive.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
73. Re: British Airways charge for seat reservation

I'm not going to comment on this anymore but there are fares they sell in business class...sold as "flexible" that do not permit a seat assignment. I know I bought one so Joe is not correct all the time. I paid the price to sit with my daughter for sure. I don't live in UK so don't really care after this flight but don't like to be told that something does not exist...it does.

-------

Surely you contradict yourself even in that very short paragraph.

You start by saying the fare will not permit a seat assignment, and you finish by saying you paid the price to sit with your daughter. So seat assignment IS permitted.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
74. Re: British Airways charge for seat reservation

Oh ok i gene just realised you meant seats are not assignable "for free" & "included in the ticket price"

Two very important omissions. Because someone reading what you actually wrote "not being able to pre assign a seat in business class is crazy" may have thought you had to wait until 24 hours before or even until the airport.

So your objection is in fact that its not included in the price? Even presumably if the price was much higher? Ok fair enough, but a very long way from not being able to select one at all.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
12,093 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
75. Re: British Airways charge for seat reservation

<<< However, if you have alot of family members travelling it's very expensive, and you are at a disadvantage as alot of the good seats will have been taken because of the procedure, before all the seats are open 24 hours before hand. >>>

You don't HAVE to fly BA.... if it bothers you select an airline that gives you free seat selection. Pretty simple really.

Avoca, Australia
Destination Expert
for Rusutsu-mura
Level Contributor
3,807 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
76. Re: British Airways charge for seat reservation

We avoided the seat selection fee somehow with a QFF Award booking for BA Club & managed to select 744 UD.

Edited: 15 March 2013, 06:12
Tamworth, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
51 reviews
Save Reply
77. Re: British Airways charge for seat reservation

like everthing this in life you get what you pay for...if you want full service you have to pay for it...$42 seems like a bargain to me, im sure you chose the ticket on price, it seem amazing that you think BA would let you pick your sear above everyone else for no charge...think about it before you post

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
15,038 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
78. Re: British Airways charge for seat reservation

"it seem amazing that you think BA would let you pick your sear above everyone else for no charge...think about it before you post"

It's not amazing at all, plenty of airlines will let passengers chose a seat for free when they book.

Edited: 15 March 2013, 10:26
London, United...
Level Contributor
827 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
79. Re: British Airways charge for seat reservation

She says

'tongue firmly in cheek'....

I paid BA for the pair of seats in WT LHR-ORD ......OLCI confirmed that I had seats 39a/b.....

When I printed boarding passes at at LHR our seats had been changed to 21j/k bulkhead WT+

Now comes the bit to think about......

Should there be a refund of seat reservation charge due to the seats not being available, or should they charge me more for reserved WT+ seats ???

I just thanked the upgrade gods, first non paid for upgrade in 40 years :-)

Louisville
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
80. Re: British Airways charge for seat reservation

Well, made the flight. The BA staff in Chicago said there is a big problem on the BA website, for which they are getting many complaints. Passengers who booked through American Airlines (co-share), cannot check in online or select seats during the 24 hour period before departure. They asked that we complain through their website.