We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Suffolk
Level Contributor
94 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Virgin Ailines to Las Vegas

Well, I think that we have now given up flying Virgin from London to Las Vegas, and for our next trip we would like to fly Air New Zealand (premium ecconomy/business) to LA then get a connecting flight from LA to Las Vegas. Would this be easy to do? Can some one tell me which are the better airlines that operate between LA and Las Vegas, also as we would fly into LA in premium ecconomy/business we would probably have 3/4 suitcases between us, would this be a problem for the connecting flight?

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Virgin Ailines to Las Vegas

Why have youput "Virgin Airlines to Las Vegas" as your title when your question is about Air New Zealand to LAX and them some other airline to LAS?

Have you considered flying BA to LAS? They fly direct. Even if ANZ is better than BA class for class, there is no way any difference would be worth the hassle of connecting in LAX with all that implies, principally an extra 4-5 hours trip, enhanced chance of lost luggage, having to take another flight aftera 11 hour flight, etc.

Edited: 10 January 2013, 08:19
Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,659 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Virgin Ailines to Las Vegas

Hi,

I tend to agree with #1 in that a non-stop would probably be a wise move.. but..

airlines flying between LAX and LAS are plentiful.

All the majors-- American, Delta, United and US Airways all fly that route*, plus most of the regional carriers and "low cost" airlines..

The low cost carriers would be names like Southwest and Spirit.

(some flights with the majors are actually operated by their commuter/regional partner/subsidiary)

To me, I really love the non-stop as it effectively removes several notable risks like lost/delayed bags at the connection point, missed/delayed connections, etc..

I don't know what the issue is with VS-- is that price, schedule, past experience, other passenger comments/feedback-- that makes VS a non-option for you, but whatever that reason; to me, the alternative-- a connection in LAX-- to me is something that I'd really want to avoid if at all possible.

Not that it can't be done-- it can.. but LAX is not really (IMHO) a very easy connection experience and more so when that's an international-to-domestic connection involving a foreign carrier

Travel Safe,

London, UK
Level Contributor
1,829 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Virgin Ailines to Las Vegas

I'm not mad keen on the Virgin flights between London and Las Vegas either; like many of their 'holiday' flights out of Gatwick, neither the aircraft or the service is as good as you'd get from Virgin out of Heathrow, although given many of the customers they're dealing with on those routes, I don't believe that Virgin or the crew are to blame for that. Nevertheless, I agree with both the above posts; it's not remotely bad enough to make me choose to fly indirect, especially if you can upgrade to prem ec or upper class. I go to Vegas quite a bit; BA is my first choice, followed by Virgin, and although I have flown via both LA and Phoenix in the past, it's only because it's suited me to do so because I needed to stop in one of those places enroute. For me, it's a long enough journey without adding a change of planes and all the opportunities for problems that affords.

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
21,453 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Virgin Ailines to Las Vegas

I couldn't have put it better than UKLizzie - and totally agree with the other above mentioned sentiments, too.

That said, if LAX is my destination, then ANZ would be my airline of first choice!

SWT

5. Re: Virgin Ailines to Las Vegas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 January 2014, 06:17