We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

fly to europe

Rochester, New York
2 posts
Save Topic
fly to europe

I will be going to Norway, and then Finland.

Which country in Europe is cheapest to fly from USA?

When I get to that airport with lowest fare, I will take EasyJet.com or one of popular europe airliner (forget the name) to reach my final location - Trondheim, Norway. And I will take another flight hop to vantaa, Finland.

I will return to same airport to head back to home, unless there is cheaper flight I can find with another airport

thanks

ken

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: fly to europe

Use a website like ita matrix to work out the overall lowest cost of the whole route, because if for sake of example its $1 cheaper to get to say Portugal than Greece, but $50 more expensive from Portugal than Greece to Trondheim, your cunning plan is a bust.

Edited: 10 January 2013, 17:58
Scotland
Level Contributor
1,332 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: fly to europe

I'd start by looking at who flies into Trondheim and Vantaa, and from where, then work backwards. London's often a cheap gateway into Europe, but I'm not sure there will be many cheap connections to these towns from there.

Intuitively, I'd have thought that there may be some mileage in looking at IS flights via KEF, but not really sure. A while ago SAS would have been the obvious carrier...

There are other downsides to the approach you suggest - connections will not be protected, and you may have different luggage allowances, for example.

I would not be at all surprised if you ended up booking one through ticket with a major carrier.

Rochester, New York
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: fly to europe

thanks. yes, I am aware of that it is possible that domestric airflight might end up costly...

Ill look into doing the backward... and try it.

KEF?

I was thinking... if I found a one way flight to be cheapest. Is it possible to buy one way from here to there and from there to here? what's the chance of finding 2 lowest one way flights that are still cheaper than round-trip?

I assume with your flight experience, let's say.. to save my time and thinking... throw my ideas out of here and can you tell me what the best way to get good deal?

thanks

ken

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: fly to europe

what's the chance of finding 2 lowest one way flights that are still cheaper than round-trip?

=======

Zero, but if you look at multi city options that will be similar or not much more than a return.

Stuttgart, Germany
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
7,744 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: fly to europe

Scotsal meant Icelandicair ,the airport code KEF is Reykjavic in Iceland.

Scotland
Level Contributor
1,332 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: fly to europe

Yes, sorry - FI not IS (something entirely different!)

Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
95 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: fly to europe

The cheapest city to probably fly to in Europe is London Heathrow, as it offers more flights to the USA than any other city... It is simply down to this is where the most competition is and airlines have to compete harder.

London has the busiest and largest air travel market in the world.

BUT if you do fly to London you want to fly with Low Cost airlines like easyJet and Ryanair fly from other airports in the London area either Luton, Stansted or Gatwick. These airports primarily fly to destinations in Europe, where Heathrow is primarily a Long Haul airport, flying to destinations all around the globe.

Other cities with large amounts of flights to/from the USA is Paris, Amsterdam and Frankfurt.

You also need to bare in mind airlines like Ryanair and easyJet do not guarantee conenctions on to other flights. As they do not offer connections. So for example if your flight with easyJet was late arriving and you missed your onward flight back to the USA, they would not offer compensation or a ticket onto another flight to the USA.

If I was you, I would book your flights through a seller like Expedia, which allows you to book Mutliple Stop ticket, with all the destnations you want to go to made in one booking and that way if you miss a connection due to a late running flight, the airline your ticket is with will have to get you to where you have booked on another flight.

So for example you would type in to the booking website USA (City where you are flying from) to Trondheim as one flight, for the second flight Trondheim to Vantaa and for your third flight Vantaa back to the USA.

You will be sold the flights all as one booking. It might not mean you have direct flight to and from the USA tp yur destinations in Norway and Finland. But will guarantee your connections, as whatever airport you fly through in Europe to these destinations will ensure seamless travel.

Trondheim, Norway
Destination Expert
for Trondheim
Level Contributor
4,677 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: fly to europe

In addition to Icelandair (who fly into Trondheim) look at prices/times for norwegian.com, who start flights from New York to Oslo, Norway (and Stockholm, Sweden) this summer. Both sell one-way tickets - with connections to most Nordic towns..

Other airlines flying into Trondheim is KLM (from Amsterdam / Skyteam Alliance), SAS (from Copenhagen, Oslo, Stockholm and many more smaller airports / Star Alliance) and the odd flight with Wizz Air (from Gdansk and Villnius) and Estonian Air (from Tallin).

Vaanta is the the place where Helsinki Airport is (the full name being Helsinki-Vantaa Airport). No direct flight between Trondheim and Helsinki, but both SAS and Norwegian can get you there with a single connection.

9. Re: fly to europe

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 January 2014, 07:18