We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Air France 8491 operated by Delta!?

Niagara Falls...
Level Contributor
515 posts
129 reviews
Save Topic
Air France 8491 operated by Delta!?

I am planning on flying from Buf ~Atlanta on Air France 8491 operated by Delta.

Does this mean I will have a AF jet or Delta jet? Does operated by mean the crew is Delta?

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Air France 8491 operated by Delta!?

delta aircraft with a delta crew. it's called code sharing.

Nannup, Australia
Level Contributor
3,652 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Air France 8491 operated by Delta!?

My first thought was - does AF have traffic rights on this route? I can't get the AF website to show me any flights. it's likely I'm doing something wrong, but where did you see this flight?

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,662 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Air France 8491 operated by Delta!?

Hi,

It has to be a DL flight-- DL aircraft and crew-- as the Jones Act would prohibit AF from selling and operating a wholly domestic US sector with their own aircraft and crew; and it does not appear the AF has a BUF-ATL-CDG (or similar) service which would make the existence of a BUF-ATL sector possible.

(Note: Foreign carriers can operate between two US points, but cannot originate traffic between these two US points)

Also, flight numbers of this type *can* (but not always) be a signal that it's a code-share operated.

Travel Safe,

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Air France 8491 operated by Delta!?

AF/DL code shares from buffalo show up on the AF usa web site when the destination is CDG via atlanta.

Nannup, Australia
Level Contributor
3,652 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Air France 8491 operated by Delta!?

GOPBI's post confirms what I thought - which raises the question as to where OP got her 'flight' from - unless it is part of a bigger itinerary that we are not privy to.

As a general principle I think it is better to choose the operating carrier than a codeshare flight number anyway - witness those who have complained about not be able to select seats, meals etc on codeshare flights.

Niagara Falls...
Level Contributor
515 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Air France 8491 operated by Delta!?

Hi, sorry About my late response. My flights were booked with expedia.ca. During booking I got the option of choosing my seats and meals on all flights.

I figured it must be delta from buf to Atlanta, then af onward.

Thanks for all ur responses.

Oh wait, since the carriers are different will I have to reclaim my luggage once in Atlanta an check it back in for my af flights?

Garden Bay, Canada
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
Level Contributor
9,797 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Air France 8491 operated by Delta!?

You say "it must be..." it can be, but no, it doesn't have to be. Delta also operates Atlanta to Paris flights.

Even if the carriers are different (DL and AF) you won't have to collect and recheck your bags. They will be checked all the way through for you.

8. Re: Air France 8491 operated by Delta!?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 January 2014, 05:16