We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Exit Schengen area w/ layover in Schengen - passport stamps?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
87 posts
162 reviews
Save Topic
Exit Schengen area w/ layover in Schengen - passport stamps?

Hello guys, I am currently holding a singapore passport and I am intending to travel from Netherlands to Russia and back, by the route AMS-TLL-LED and DME-RIX-AMS, by Estoniaair and airBaltic respectively. I've a couple of questions to ask

(1) If I spend the layovers entirely within the restricted area of the airport @ TLL, will I get the Schengen exit stamp on my passport? After all, AMS and TLL are both in the Schengen area - and if I'm not leaving the restricted area at all, how will my passport get a Schengen exit stamp for TLL-LED segment?

(2) Similar question to the one above - when entering schengen area again via RIX, will I get an entry stamp if I do not leave the restricted area?

These are quite important questions as I need those stamps to prove that I am not exceeding the 90 day limit.

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
1,280 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Exit Schengen area w/ layover in Schengen - passport stamps?

"If I spend the layovers entirely within the restricted area of the airport @ TLL,.."

That will not be an option. If your onward flight from any Schengen airport is to a non-Schengen destination, you will be required to go through passport control at the intermediate stop.

I had this recently on a Berlin-Munich-Toronto routing. In order to get the the gate for the flight to Canada at Munich I had to go through passport control after getting off my flight from Berlin. The same will be true at Tallin for your onward flight to LED.

Also in reverse. You will have to go through passport control at your first Schengen airport.

Edited: 16 January 2013, 16:52
Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
6,079 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Exit Schengen area w/ layover in Schengen - passport stamps?

I could be mistaken.... but European immigration does not generally stamp passports any more? Do they? It has been a while since my passport was stamped arriving and leaving the EU. I know that they are recorded electronically in the Schengen system from the data provided by the airlines arriving and departing the EU. Most of the time you may have to ask for it to be stamped. And sometimes the officers may be unwilling to do so.

Edited: 16 January 2013, 17:16
Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
1,280 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Exit Schengen area w/ layover in Schengen - passport stamps?

"I could be mistaken.... but European immigration does not generally stamp passports any more? Do they?"

Non-EU issued passports certainly get stamped, in and out.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
2,329 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Exit Schengen area w/ layover in Schengen - passport stamps?

Yes, my non-EU passport certainly gets stamped every time.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,986 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Exit Schengen area w/ layover in Schengen - passport stamps?

There have been reports of travellers having problems when leaving the Schengen area because their passports had not been stamped on entry. The Passport Control officers at the departure airport wanted proof of how long the travellers had spent in the Schengen area.

Edited: 17 January 2013, 00:24
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
87 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Exit Schengen area w/ layover in Schengen - passport stamps?

Has anyone here actually used TLL airport as a stopover airport for an outward flight out of Schengen?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
87 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Exit Schengen area w/ layover in Schengen - passport stamps?

Has anyone here actually used TLL airport as a stopover airport for an outward flight out of Schengen?

Do you have any experiences to share? :D

8. Re: Exit Schengen area w/ layover in Schengen - passport stamps?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 February 2014, 06:17