We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

auckland airport

Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
55 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
auckland airport

Next easter i'll fly lis -syd-aukland. ( 20 days) My wife is a heavy smoker and i need to buy cigarrets at free shop in auckl. Is it possible buy tobacco there ? before or afher the costumers ? Aforablle price?

Usualy we carry the cigarrets from europe but australia forbides to carry on more then 5o cigarrets each. I have 2 tickets so i must pass au imigration.

P.S. - i don´t smoke

thanks

Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,270 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: auckland airport

I'm not an expert but if you're transiting in SYD before going on to AKL, do you really go through immigation in Australia? Believe it or not, flights between Australia and NZ (across 'the ditch') are still international. Or are you actually stopping in Sydney and going onto Auckland at a later date? In this case you would go through AUS customs and immigation.

Both countries have fairly strict customs regulations as well so make sure you know what and how much you can bring in. If in doubt, declare it, you might not get to keep it, but you won't get stung with a wopping great fine.

Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
55 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: auckland airport

thank you.

i'll made a 4 hours stopover in sydney but i do need to clear aus customs and imigration because i have 2 tickets. I think au customes have a limit of 50 cigars each person.. and nz 200 (m í wrong?) so i need to buy cigars or i´ll be broke in my first week. Last year i'been in au for holidays and 4oo cigars weren't enought !!!!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,256 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: auckland airport

yes you can buy cigarettes at Auckland Airport

Edited: 17 January 2013, 01:40
Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,270 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: auckland airport

Hmmm, not sure if it's better duty-free but I know cigarettes are expensive in Aus (but, like you, I don't smoke, so I'm not sure). You might be better buying them before your NZ flight instead of bringing them to Aus if the difference in allowance is that much.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,256 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: auckland airport

Smokes are cheaper duty free in Australia compared to NZ - well the were last year anyway

Edited: 17 January 2013, 02:13
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,256 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: auckland airport

Also -the cartons in NZ are only for 200 - th ones in Australia are 250 - I used to live in NZ but was from Melb so used to take 250 in all thetime and never got in trouble.

Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
55 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: auckland airport

thank you

i checked your information and they are very helpfull.

i´ll buy arriving nz. is cheeper

8. Re: auckland airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 January 2014, 06:17