We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Golden Lounge KLIA after arrival- delay collecting luggage?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
124 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Golden Lounge KLIA after arrival- delay collecting luggage?

Hello,

Will be arriving at KLIA in late March, on an overnight flight (MH140) flying MAS business for a conference. Since arrival time is at around 3.30am, hoping to access Golden Lounge for a few hours to freshen up before heading to the city,

Apparently I can only access this lounge prior to going through immigration and collecting luggage, as it is in the Satellite building.

Just wondering if there is a way to "delay" luggage collection for a few hours? Would not like to just leave the luggage to keep going round the carousel. Otherwise may consider carry-on luggage only if we really want to access the lounge.

Thanks for any information/advice.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,577 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Golden Lounge KLIA after arrival- delay collecting luggage?

Hi,

Commonly if you don't collect bags from the reclaim belt, the carrier will collect them and store them for you-- but-- they may charge you to do so.

They'll see you were actually on the plane-- so the expectation will be that you collect them promptly after arrival.

When you do come calling from them, they'll probably have moved them to their baggage service office or similar, where you'll have to go and claim them-- and possible explain/pay for the storage if applicable.

In some airports, the carrier also has to declare to the local customs officials any "landed but uncleared baggage" because until you (or an authorized person) present them to local customs, they are "in bond" and restricted movement. Generally speaking, local customs does not like to have unclaimed, uncleared bags hanging around.

At some airports customs rules are that carriers report on who is the bags owners and what is the carriers plan to either get them cleared locally or repatriate them back.

** The above is predicated on an international arrival.. If it's domestic, there is no customs part, but it's not entirely unusual for a carrier (or the airport if that's the part involved) to levy a storage fee for "unclaimed" items.

Travel Safe,

Nannup, Australia
Level Contributor
3,652 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Golden Lounge KLIA after arrival- delay collecting luggage?

Perhaps you could ask the lounge staff to contact the baggage staff to advise them of your intentions.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
124 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Golden Lounge KLIA after arrival- delay collecting luggage?

Thanks GOPBI and Numbat. I think I will contact MAS prior to our trip to see what they can arrange for us regarding our luggage.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,282 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Golden Lounge KLIA after arrival- delay collecting luggage?

Have you checked that you can use the lounge after arrival? Some lounges require an onward business boarding pass.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
124 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Golden Lounge KLIA after arrival- delay collecting luggage?

Yes I checked with the lounge directly by email a couple of months ago when I was looking for flghts. I asked if I could use the lounge after an international arrival ( not in transit) and if it was open at that time of the morning, and fortunately it was "yes" and "yes". Actually it was someone on this forum that told me I could use the lounge on arrival without being in transit, which did surprise me.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,282 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Golden Lounge KLIA after arrival- delay collecting luggage?

That's great to hear!!

Australia
Level Contributor
2,675 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Golden Lounge KLIA after arrival- delay collecting luggage?

Please post what happens sydneysider as we are thinking of doing the same thing - didn't even think about the fact the luggage is past customs ;) (been enough times but never stopped at the lounge first)

KLIA business lounge is really nice so hope it works out for you :D

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
36,694 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Golden Lounge KLIA after arrival- delay collecting luggage?

Never having been to KLIA I have no idea how large or busy the airport is. I would also makes sure that immigration/customs is open at the time you want tp finally enter the country. If there are no flights scheduled to arrive, they could theoretically be closed.

Sydney, Australia
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Golden Lounge KLIA after arrival- delay collecting luggage?

Hi SydneySider888,

I am in the same situation as you. Arriving KL at 3.30am and like to access the lounge. Do you mind to share the email contact of the lounge that you have corresponded with? I can't find the contact online.

Many thanks

SydTraveller

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
14,809 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Golden Lounge KLIA after arrival- delay collecting luggage?

Rgd KLIA is enormous and 24 hours. The lounge itself is larger than some airports I have been in !