We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Late check in Manchester airport

Wales
Level Contributor
82 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Late check in Manchester airport

About to book hols but concerned about flight time. Flight leaves 6.35pm - I can't get to Manchester airport til 5.00pm - will these be enough time to check in and board?

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,341 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Late check in Manchester airport

Hi,

What airline? Most carriers have a defined and set 'deadline' by which you and your bags (if any) must all be checked-in, plus most also have a deadline by which you must be either at the gate, on-board or available to board.

This deadline *tends* to be in the :60 range for international flights, but each carrier really is free to set their own rules on this matter.

I think we'd need to know what carrier-- thus whose rules-- we're talking about.

Travel Safe,

Edited: 20 January 2013, 07:51
Wales
Level Contributor
82 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Late check in Manchester airport

Thanks - travelling with Thomas cook to turkey- hopefully, but worried as I usually allow the full three hours

Derbyshire
Level Contributor
8,840 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Late check in Manchester airport

When you say you "can't get to Manchester airport til 5.00pm" - is there a possibility that it could be even later than that depending on traffic etc?

Or will you be at the airport bang on 5pm regardless?

I think most short-haul charters say check-in 2 hours before.

I personally wouldn't risk it.

Edited: 20 January 2013, 08:44
Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
Level Contributor
17,564 posts
280 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Late check in Manchester airport

Thomas Cook allow OLCI which will allow you a little more time. Although I think there are exceptions though depending on how you book (through a third party maybe?) - although every time I have booked with them I always book direct on their website and have been able to perform OLCI since they have offered it.

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
32,796 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Late check in Manchester airport

You can check in online for Turkey with Thomas Cook. You are still advised to be at the airport 90 mins prior to scheduled departure time. If you check in at the airport, check in closes 60 mins prior to scheduled departure, as does the bag drop desk.

If there is any chance that you won't arrive at the airport for 5.30pm.(delays etc), or if that means you are arriving but still have to get to departures and then queue for check in or bag drop, I think allowing yourself 35 mins you are cutting it very fine.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
509 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Late check in Manchester airport

If possible you could use the Sundown check-in the night before and then you go direct to security and cut out the check-in part.

Wales
Level Contributor
82 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Late check in Manchester airport

Thank you online check in seems to be the way to go- still feeling nervous!

Derbyshire
Level Contributor
8,840 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Late check in Manchester airport

When you say you "can't get to Manchester airport til 5.00pm" - is there a possibility that it could be even later than that depending on traffic etc?

Or will you be at the airport bang on 5pm regardless?

Manchester
Level Contributor
169 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Late check in Manchester airport

Do the online check in and as long as you really are there for 5 pm you'll be fine, though with OLCI you have a bit of extra wiggle room if you are a few minutes after that.

The good news is I would be surprised if terminal 2 was that busy early evening, unlike t1 and t3.

The bad news is, depending on how far ahead you're booking be aware that charter flights in particular are notorious for changing flight times, though if you're leaving in the next few week (I.e during the season that is currently underway) you'll probably be ok. If you're flying in, say July, I would be prepared for a schedule change which could of course be either earlier or later and unless it's changed by more than 12 hours, you won't be able to claim compensation (check your ts and cs now and sort out your contingency plans!)

10. Re: Late check in Manchester airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 20 January 2013, 13:05