We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airasia Connection Times

Sydney, Australia
7 posts
Save Topic
Airasia Connection Times

My family are travelling through Asia in May and I'm worried I may not have left enough time between connections. All flights are with airasia.

We arrive from Siem Reap at 11.35am and are due to fly to Langkawi at 1.55pm which gives us 2hs20 mins and the other flight we arrive from Langkawi at 7.55pm and due to depart to Sydney at 11.40pm which gives us 3hrs40mins to do customs baggage collect and drop.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
3,167 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airasia Connection Times

The KL forum recommends a minimum connection of 3 hours. Change your flight so you wouldn't be stressed.

australia
Destination Expert
for New South Wales, Noosa
Level Contributor
3,272 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airasia Connection Times

Dozens of Air Asia flights and always been on schedule. Should be ok. Hopefully no unforseen delays. If you booked non-changeable flights, probably going to cost big time for new ones, that may not be needed.

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
3,167 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airasia Connection Times

<< If you booked non-changeable flights, probably going to cost big time for new ones, that may not be needed >>

And if your incoming flight's late or if there are long lines at immigration ("Foreigners" lines are usually long unless you arrive at midnight) or if your bags take a while to get onto the carousel, you miss your LGK flight and you've to buy new tickets. Now THAT will cost you a whole lot more.

Work this out:

1) Plane lands on time (phew)

2) OP gets off the plane (let's say he doesn't buy those Hot Seats); walks to the terminal ... this can take anywhere from 10 mins to 20 mins.

3) Gets to the immigration area .... long lines. Waits anything between 30 to 60 mins.

4) Walks to the baggage reclaim ... 5 mins. Waits for bags ... 15 mins.

5) Exits Arrivals and heads to Departures (the LCCT, if you don't know it, is a minefield) ... 10 mins.

6) Baggage Drop Counter closes 50 mins before flight leaves.

IMO, 2 1/4 hours is not sufficient. But that's the OP's choice.

Sydney, Australia
7 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Airasia Connection Times

Thank you both for your feedback, I wasn't aware it took so long to get through customs etc as my previous trips through KL were fly-through.

I will be changing the KL to Langkawi flight to the later one. I'd rather be safe than sorry. Luckily it's a flight I can change which shouldn't cost me too much.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
883 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Airasia Connection Times

Hi Deb

Who are you flying with? If it is all Air Asia, then no problem at all.

There could be a tight connection if you are arriving at KLIA and have to transfer to LCCT for the Langkawi flight.

On New Years Eve we returned from Langkawi on Malaysian Air landing at KLIA and had to be to LCCT for an Air Asia flight to Krabi. I was panicking the whole time about making the connection. In the end, we disembarked, collected bags, got a cab and had finished our check in process in 55 minutes. Made it with a couple of hours to spare.

It all depends on who your flights are with, and which terminal(s) you will be utilising.

Cheers

Steve

australia
Destination Expert
for New South Wales, Noosa
Level Contributor
3,272 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Airasia Connection Times

Actually as a foreigner using the 'foreigner' line for immigration at the LCCT many times at various times of day I have never experienced a 30 minute or longer wait. One long wait on baggage off a domestic flight. But if you can change without penalty and the next flight isnt that much later, then for peace of mind do it.

Edited: 21 January 2013, 12:49
Italy
Level Contributor
39,496 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Airasia Connection Times

If its all Air Asia it won't be a problem because if your incoming flight is late and you miss the connection Air Asia will put you on the next available flight.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
386 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Airasia Connection Times

Not if it's seperate tickets they won't, purely point to point.

Edited: 22 January 2013, 07:31
Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
2,329 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Airasia Connection Times

I've never arrived from an international flight in the KUL LCCT and NOT had to wait forever in a line. Living in Japan has taught me a lot about patience and waiting for bureaucracy, but if I had had connecting flights I would have been very agitated!

Sydney, Australia
7 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Airasia Connection Times

Thanks everyone for your feedback, I decided to change the flight from KL to Langkawi just in case there are any issues. I don't want to be stressed about connections. As the return flight gives me 3hrs 40 mins I decided not to change it. I had to pay about $70 to make the change for 3 of us but it's a lot cheaper than buying new tickets :)

Thanks again

Deb