We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Worse to stay on or get thrown off?

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
10,713 posts
95 reviews
Save Topic
Worse to stay on or get thrown off?

I'd prefer to get thrown off personally ... if no other seat was available

huffingtonpost.com/kevin-richberg/…

Edited: 22 January 2013, 05:56
Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
29,627 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Worse to stay on or get thrown off?

Personally, I'd say it's never good to get thrown off a flight. You don't know what the airline staff will report and any notes in your passenger profile.

The author, having made the request once, should have kept his peace and shut up. For a supposed experienced traveller, his actions were pretty naive. If I were sat next to a "disruptive" (for want of a better adjective in this case) child, and the FA asked if anyone would swap with the mother, I'd have jumped at the opportunity to switch there and then; not waited to do a secondary swap.

Edited: 22 January 2013, 07:01
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
58,423 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Worse to stay on or get thrown off?

He asked the mom to switch her seat because he didn't want to sit next to the child. A gate agent came along ....

"I can look into another seat for you sir, if you want."

I looked around at the full plane. "No, that's not necessary," I replied.

He should have moved when the going was good.

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
1,280 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Worse to stay on or get thrown off?

"He should have moved when the going was good."

Potentially to a middle seat? Would you? And maybe the FA didn't offer him the swap with the mother initially.

I agree that he shouldn't have asked a second time given the definite refusal. At least not until the aircraft was safely in the air. Then if the kid was really being annoying he would have a good case to make about who the disruptive passenger was.

Edited: 22 January 2013, 07:21
Madrid
Level Contributor
3,236 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Worse to stay on or get thrown off?

"I can look into another seat for you sir, if you want."

True,but the gate agent did not clearly state that was another seat on the same aircraft.It could have meant another seat on the next aircraft,which is what happened.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
29,627 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Worse to stay on or get thrown off?

>> And maybe the FA didn't offer him the swap with the mother initially.<<

Maybe, but if he's a savvy traveller he should have jumped up and volunteered.

I found myself sat next to a disruptive child (a genuine spoilt brat) a few years ago flying FRA-PDX (11.5 hours). Me aisle, brat window. A pax two rows forward had a window and was demanding an aisle seat Even though I don't like window seats, I jumped at the opportunity to both be an officer and a gentleman, and to rid myself of my brat seat mate!

I guess HuffPo can't get real travel experts these days.

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Worse to stay on or get thrown off?

He just talked in a pleasant, reasonable, non-argumentative tone and the captain deemed him a risk for no reason? Maybe so. But maybe we're getting a biased view of the incident. Just maybe.

Edited: 22 January 2013, 10:35
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
823 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Worse to stay on or get thrown off?

That's his side of the story, maybe the mother has a slightly different take on the situation, but I've seen Flight Attendant "over-escalation" a lot in my time working in the industry, especially inexperienced FA's. Sometimes crew and ground staff are so used to abuse from passengers that they go to step 3 or 4 instead of step 1 when trying to diffuse a situation. You sometimes see it when passengers are late for check-in and agents start getting defensive about having to charge them change fee's or they "won't be travelling" when the passenger hasn't even had a chance to say OK or I understand.

If the incident really happened like he's described, then I think JetBlue over-reacted.

Derbyshire
Level Contributor
8,951 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Worse to stay on or get thrown off?

I agree it's a one-sided report.

It's so easy to say 'I was polite but she was agressive' when the other party isn't present to contradict.

Maybe one reason why the parent (14D) didn't want to swop with the child (14E) who was annoying Kevin Richberg (14F) was that the child would then be next to the aisle and therefore may have been able to get up and run around without the mother being aware if she was asleep in the centre seat.

I too can't understand why KB didn't accept an alternative seat when asked.

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
1,280 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Worse to stay on or get thrown off?

"I too can't understand why KB didn't accept an alternative seat when asked."

Because it would more than likely have been a middle seat. I can't see anyone wanting to change seats so that they were sitting next to a rambunctious child. So either he would be switched to one of a few empty seats (more than likely a middle) or someone in a middle seat would see the window seat as worth more than the disruption.

I agree that the mother probably had perfectly good reasons for not switching. I wonder what the reaction would have been if he had offered his window seat to the child and offered to switch with the mother for the aisle. That would still leave the child "trapped". But since he mentions sleeping, it seems like he would only be happy with a window seat

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Worse to stay on or get thrown off?

It was stupid of him not to accept the seat change but I can't see what he did to warrant being thrown off the plane or as some of you have said we don't have the full story.