We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Avoid Emirates Airlines Long Break at Dubai Airport

Seattle, Washington
10 posts
Save Topic
Avoid Emirates Airlines Long Break at Dubai Airport

When you fly Emirates to Kolkatta (India) (or to other locations), you have to stay over at Dubai airport. This is the WORST thing to do - almost a scam. I recommend avoiding this route.

On the way from Seattle to Kolkatta, I had to stay at the Dubai airport for 7hr and 40 minutes. Because I did not meet the min. 8hr limit, they did not give me a hotel. So, I paid $62 dollars to hang out for four hours in one of their lounges (you will do better if you fly biz class). I could take shower, get some dinner/coffee/drinks and get recharged. But, I did *not* to sleep and my son was not with me so did not feel too bad..wait, there is more..

On the flight back from Kolkatta, the break at Dubai was 9hr. So, they gave us a hotel voucher. So, we were pretty happy dreaming of catching up on sleep especially for my son. But, we never did get any sleep! The flight landed at 1am. It took us 1+ hrs to get through hugely SLOW passport control. Another 45 minutes to get a shuttle to Hotel, another long line at the Hotel to check in. It was 4am when we finally made it to the room. Wait, the flight was at 9am so we had to catch the 7am shuttle to get back to airport. So, we just took shower, shovellled hostel-quality breakfast, and went to the airport. Worse part is that no one seems to care. The service is horrible, emirates staff and hotel staff - slow and set in their own ways!

We also had a broken suitcase handle when we received the luggage at Seattle.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
29,257 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Avoid Emirates Airlines Long Break at Dubai Airport

Well if EK give you a free hotel, it's free, which is better than a poke in the eye. You don't have to take it, and it sounds like you don't recommend it. Thanks for the heads up about the required faffing around, but it's also good to know that Emirates offers a similar service to Asiana and Korean (at ICN); same rules (min 8 hour layover) as well

As I understand there's an airside hotel at DXB, meaning you don't have to clear immigration. Perhaps it costs a lot (which is probably why EK doesn't give you that one for free), but you can factor it into your travel costs.

tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g295424-d6238…

Edited: 23 January 2013, 04:15
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,196 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Avoid Emirates Airlines Long Break at Dubai Airport

Scam? How so? It's free! (Well besides being partly baked into the cost of your ticket)

It's hardly EK's fault the immigration line was 1hr! You should be thankful you got anything IMO!

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Avoid Emirates Airlines Long Break at Dubai Airport

The air side hotel at DXB is very expensive.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
25,054 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Avoid Emirates Airlines Long Break at Dubai Airport

Oh boy, I don't even know where to start with this, so I'll keep it short.

All my experiences with Emirates has been of reasonable quality or better.

Layover hotels selected by airlines does not have to be five star. Infact many will be surprised that the airlines main priority is keeping the pax together to minimize grpund logistic problems, then it's availability and price.

As for hostel quality breakfast, I can't comment.

The current hotel boom in Dubai is 3-4 star, but the main industry brands in this category hasn't made progress there yet, so it's mostly local hotel developers who are first timers in that category.

Just my experiences there.

Shoalhaven...
Level Contributor
2,891 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Avoid Emirates Airlines Long Break at Dubai Airport

What an absolute Scam.....I cannot beleive they didn't tell you about the layover times in Dubai.

Oh wait, sorry, that is your responsibility when you are researching and booking airfares.

No sympathy here, in case you couldn't tell.

Seattle, Washington
10 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Avoid Emirates Airlines Long Break at Dubai Airport

I will ignore the snarky comments. I believe the point of Trip Advisor is to share experience so others going route will use it for research, and plan better/ahead.

Another friend just posted in FB this (constructive) comment: "From Kolkata I took the morning flight & checked in the hotel in Dubai by 1 pm...our check out time from hotel was next morning 7 am...taking morning flight from Kolkata worked for us..."

Nannup, Australia
Level Contributor
3,652 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Avoid Emirates Airlines Long Break at Dubai Airport

Your experience is instructional, but calling something 'almost a scam' could also be considered a 'snarky comment'.

Kasane, Botswana
Level Contributor
71 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Avoid Emirates Airlines Long Break at Dubai Airport

What is the name of the hotel? Was it Premium Inn?

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Avoid Emirates Airlines Long Break at Dubai Airport

You would have known the transfer times when you booked.

It was your choice.

If the transfers were long then you should have looked at other flights, it is up to you.

I for one do not want to have to pay more for my airfares because the airlines are spending money catering for people in transit.

It amazes me that if people take a train from one place to another and there is a long connection time they would never dream of expecting the train company to provide for them, or if you took 2 ferries sea trips and had a long time between.

Edited: 23 January 2013, 05:41
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
823 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Avoid Emirates Airlines Long Break at Dubai Airport

I used the airside hotel in Dubai for 6 hours and it cost around US$120 for 2 people. That's double to what you paid for the lounge, but I think it's worth it to have your own bathroom and a proper bed to nap in.

I didn't know that Emirates provided any hotel for layovers over 8 hours.but given your feedback, I think I'd prefer to spend the extra money on the airside hotel than go through the hassle of going back through immigration and the like if I do end up transitting through dubai again.