We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ITA Matrix Search HELP; Can't Find Given Price!

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
48 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
ITA Matrix Search HELP; Can't Find Given Price!

This is the first time something like this has happened to me with the excellent ITA Search.

I put in a flight from Rome (FCO) to Venice (VCE) for May 2nd 2013 at 1:15PM and it gave me the following result:

matrix.itasoftware.com/view/details…

As you can see, the fare for two people is $130 CAD.

Due to the timing I am assuming the airline is Alitalia but for whatever reason, there are NO travel booking sites that list this price. Count me stumped...any ideas?

I have a funny feeling that Kayak's use of the Wegolo service is somehow fudging the results with bogus prices...

If that doesn't work, I guess I could call a travel agent or the airline directly. However, I have never used the ITA Matrix to book over the phone even though it gives the codes.

Does anyone know how to use those codes with the airline / travel agent?

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
10,857 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ITA Matrix Search HELP; Can't Find Given Price!

You can't put a link in with your search results; they won't work. Matrix will show you the airline, didn't you see it? It is Alitalia Do your search again, find the correct airline and go to their webpage to book. See if that works.

May 2 AZ 1471 FCO 8:30AM VCE 9:35AM 1h 5m MD-80 Economy (O)

€50.00

Edited: 25 January 2013, 15:30
Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
48 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ITA Matrix Search HELP; Can't Find Given Price!

I went to the AlItalia website and it is quoting me almost $400 CAD.....no idea how you are getting that rate? Even the USA site is quoting $380.40 USD. :S

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
322 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ITA Matrix Search HELP; Can't Find Given Price!

Try easyjet.

Thursday 2nd May is showing as 35 Euro each way.

http://www.easyjet.com/EN/Booking.mvc

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
6,755 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: ITA Matrix Search HELP; Can't Find Given Price!

It might have to do with the sales city or some other assumptions that Matrix makes. I believe it will assume Rome is the sales city since that is your origin. When you go to an airline site, they will see you are in Canada (based on your internet IP address) and price it accordingly.

From itasoftware:

=====================================================

About Sales City

The "sales city" refers to the city in which a ticket will be sold. We will price your trip in the currency of the sales city, unless you explicitly specify a different currency.

By default, we assume that the sales city is the same as your journey origin. You may change the sales city to indicate that you plan to purchase tickets in a different city or country. Different fares may apply for different sales cities, especially in different countries.

Another way that the sales city may be relevant (for both domestic and international trips) is when advance purchase restrictions apply. For example, if you live in Los Angeles and it is 11:00 PM there, entering "LAX" or "Los Angeles, CA" as the sales city will enable you to view fares that are set to expire at midnight tonight. By contrast, if you entered the sales city as "Boston, MA", those fares would not be displayed because it would already be 2:00 AM in Boston.

Trondheim, Norway
Destination Expert
for Trondheim
Level Contributor
4,509 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ITA Matrix Search HELP; Can't Find Given Price!

It seems Alitalia doesn't want to show their best fares to Canadians.

If you go to the Alitalia website and change your country from Canada to Other countries and search for the flight again - you'll see plenty of €49.20 fares.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
48 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ITA Matrix Search HELP; Can't Find Given Price!

I see that. I think I will give them a call and see if they will price match their other sites. It seems like North Americans are being given the shaft.

I'm actually still determining my mode of transport:

Either train or plane. We're going carry-on only and I hear Alitalia is ultra strict about their policy of 8KG total for a roller bag + personal item. Plus, there's no info for the personal item's max size.

On the flip side, they're less expensive than taking the train to Venice (no, really) and certainly take less time to get there.

Nannup, Australia
Level Contributor
3,652 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: ITA Matrix Search HELP; Can't Find Given Price!

<<On the flip side, they're less expensive than taking the train to Venice (no, really) and certainly take less time to get there.>>

But bear in mind that VCE airport is a long way from Venice town. The train takes you from city centre to city centre through some pretty countryside - no way I'd fly between the 2 cities.

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
13,653 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: ITA Matrix Search HELP; Can't Find Given Price!

The fares quoted on ITA and Kayak are web prices - you get an entirely different set of prices when you phone and use a live agent

Paris, France
Level Contributor
16,822 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: ITA Matrix Search HELP; Can't Find Given Price!

If this is the flight you want why not try to book in euros in the Italian version of the Alitalia site?

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
52,022 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: ITA Matrix Search HELP; Can't Find Given Price!

You can give the fare codes generated by ITA to the agent or airline. They should theoretically be able to book the same fares although I can't guarantee this.