We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

clearing newark customs, re entering JFK- how long?

jersey
Level Contributor
1,018 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
clearing newark customs, re entering JFK- how long?

Yes

how long should it take to get through newark customs, then reenter jfk for onward flights please?

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
10,857 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: clearing newark customs, re entering JFK- how long?

Customs is fast, so you must be talking about immigration.

Are you saying you are arriving at EWR, and then taking a new flight from JFK? I hope there is a very long time between flights if you are on two tickets.

jersey
Level Contributor
1,018 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: clearing newark customs, re entering JFK- how long?

yes gracie i am.

I have 5 hours 15 mins to get thru EWR and then into JFK for onward flight, connecting airports via public transport, is this ok?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,327 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: clearing newark customs, re entering JFK- how long?

I have 5 hours 15 mins to get thru EWR and then into JFK for onward flight, connecting airports via public transport, is this ok?

I think you're crazy. It's 30 miles of some of the most congested roads anywhere in the country plus clearing immigration and public transport.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
63,188 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: clearing newark customs, re entering JFK- how long?

JFK is easily 2hrs. away from Newark depending on transit time and what method you use to go between the 2 airports.

Assuming you are coming from a foreign country you need to get your luggage, clear immigration /customs LEAVE the airport by train/bus/or taxi.

Go from New Jersey to New York and get to JFK.

Check in your luggage go through security and go to your gate.

ALL that can easily take several hours.

I like taking the train from EWR to Jersey transit(1 ticket) which takes you into NYC Penn Station (not NJ penn station) THERE you'd walk through the station to the LIRR(long island railroad ) and take the train to Jamaica where you'd change for the air train to JFK WHEW!

Ask on the NYC forum for the best directions of how to do this.

jersey
Level Contributor
1,018 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: clearing newark customs, re entering JFK- how long?

' I like taking the train from EWR to Jersey transit(1 ticket) which takes you into NYC Penn Station (not NJ penn station) THERE you'd walk through the station to the LIRR(long island railroad ) and take the train to Jamaica where you'd change for the air train to JFK WHEW! '

That's exactly what i plan to do Riff.

Do you think 5.15 hours is enough time to use trains and stuff. I mean 2 hours trains leaves me 3 hours...

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
10,857 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: clearing newark customs, re entering JFK- how long?

I am very risk adverse when it comes to flights, especially on two separate tickets. If your first flight is late and you don't make the other one, you will lose the value of your second ticket. '

I wouldn't do it.

jersey
Level Contributor
1,018 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: clearing newark customs, re entering JFK- how long?

It's too late gracie, i booked it already. I accidently selected the wrong o/w flight option. Instead of a JFK stopover, i chose a EWR-JFK stopover, i've been kicking myself since. Emailed Opodo, but costs too much to change. Only option is i ask them to consider they sold me a pretty much 'unuseable/mad' flight ticket, which i sent them tonight in email.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
63,188 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: clearing newark customs, re entering JFK- how long?

Assuming everything is on time and immigration doesn't take 2 hrs. then you might be OK. NO guarantees.

I agree it is a terrible sort of transfer as the airports are far apart!

jersey
Level Contributor
1,018 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: clearing newark customs, re entering JFK- how long?

and immigration doesn't take 2 hrs. then you might be OK. NO guarantees.

is that 2 hours total, or each airport?? ;-I

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
25,342 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: clearing newark customs, re entering JFK- how long?

You only do immigration once, when you arrive in the US. Unfortunately, you have to go through security at the second airport, and that will add to your time. What time of day are you doing this? Do you have bags to check?