We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Compensation vouchers

Lancs, England
Level Contributor
214 posts
183 reviews
Save Topic
Compensation vouchers

AA have offered us compensation for cancelled flights by way of vouchers. These will be of no use to us so does anyone know if we can insist on cash rather than vouchers.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Compensation vouchers

Well you can ask but don't expect to get as much in cash as vouchers.

Whats the compensation for ?

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
1,280 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Compensation vouchers

Was the departure that was cancelled from an EU airport? If so, you have an absolute right to a full cash reimbursement - and possibly cash compensation depending on the circumstances.

Lancs, England
Level Contributor
214 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Compensation vouchers

It was manchester England to New York. We were re-routed via heathrow and arrived seven hours late. Don't want vouchers as we would not get chance to use them. They are only valid 12 months and we will not be flying to the us again for a few years. Have emailed them back and said we must insist on a cash refund.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
29,649 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Compensation vouchers

The law that Rapidex is referring to is EU261, see below. Article 7 covers compensation, and 7.3 states -

"3. The compensation referred to in paragraph 1 shall be paid in cash, by electronic bank transfer, bank orders or bank cheques or, with the signed agreement of the passenger, in travel vouchers and/or other services."

eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do…

Note that we had a case reported on here very recently where AA did acknowledge liability under 261 and paid with vouchers worth much more than the required EU compensation (they received $1300/€965 vouchers instead of the mandatory €600). So if you were given vouchers worth more than the minimum and you insist on receiving it in cash, you may only get the €600 Euros mandatory amount.

tripadvisor.com/…46689599

Edited: 28 January 2013, 20:33
Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
1,280 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Compensation vouchers

Note too that it is usually possible to use the vouchers on code shares (e.g. for BA flights). So you wouldn't have to return to the USA to use them.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
29,649 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Compensation vouchers

>> Note too that it is usually possible to use the vouchers on code shares (e.g. for BA flights). <<

That may be the case, but make sure you read the voucher terms and conditions very carefully. When I got e-vouchers from United in respect of a delayed flight (China-US so irrelevant to EU261), their T+Cs stated that they had to be used on United/United Express metal only (not a problem for me).

AA may be different, but the devil is in the detail.

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
1,280 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Compensation vouchers

Interesting. I hold in my hand a UA voucher for a delay. It only specifies that the booking be made on the UA website or by phone. I have entered the code on a dummy booking for a Lufthansa European flight through the UA site and it hasn't rejected it, discounting the amount on the final page.

But yes, make sure code shares are possible.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
10,857 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Compensation vouchers

I have had many UA vouchers. All of them were good only on UA metal. I wonder if something has changed, or if it's because you are not a US resident?

Bury, England...
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Compensation vouchers

Some years ago we were returning from a Thomson Cruise. Our flight was from Palma to Manchester on a First Choice plane due to leave at about 10 am.. After being airborne TWICE and having to return to Palma, we were delayed for approx. 12 hours returning to Manchester on a Thomson plane at just before midnight. Unfortunately, I do not have the flight information (or even date) any more because I made enquiries at the time and was turned down.

Anyone any ideas?

Motherwell, United...
Level Contributor
3,163 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Compensation vouchers

Hi Julie

We previously had AA vouchers and were able to use them with BA but best to check.

Regards

Jim