We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Virgin and Newcastle Airport

North east england
Level Contributor
738 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Virgin and Newcastle Airport

This question is more about curiosity rather than an actual problem I have.

Why does Virgin not fly out of Newcastle at all? We travelled to USA last year and we are again this year, but always have to travel to one of the London airports 1st (which adds £££ to trips), I thought it my be the size of planes V runway length, however Emirates is now flying direct from NCL to Dubai (huge aircraft).

NCL is a large airport, probably on par with Manchester, but to fly with Virgin you must travel to another airport first - really quite annoying.

Any body know the answer to ease my curiosity....

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
Level Contributor
22,349 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Virgin and Newcastle Airport

I wouldn't say that Newcastle is on par with Manchester. Take a look at passenger numbers on this link.

…wikipedia.org/wiki/Busiest_airports_in_the_…

Llandudno North...
Level Contributor
2,584 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Virgin and Newcastle Airport

Agreed, not even close.

:-)

North east england
Level Contributor
738 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Virgin and Newcastle Airport

Wow! I didnt realise that there was such a difference.

Could that be why Virgin don't fly from there......it gets quite annoying that any USA holiday we want, it costs us usually £150-200 extra PP to get to another airport for connecting flights...

Llandudno North...
Level Contributor
2,584 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Virgin and Newcastle Airport

Surely it doesn't cost £200 each to get to Manchester from Newcastle? A train would only be about £30 each

:-)

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
Level Contributor
22,349 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Virgin and Newcastle Airport

Could be one of the reasons for it.

Also to answer a question you posed in your OP regarding Emirates, who fly the B777-300 from NCL to DXB. According to the Great circle Mapper, the distance is 3517 miles which is well within range for this type, so it wouldn't require a full load of fuel which makes a great difference in total take off weight meaning not as long a runway is required.

NCL runway has a length of 7641 feet compared to Manchesters runways which are both 10000 feet (one is only slightly longer than the other).

http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=ncl-dxb

Edited: 29 January 2013, 15:34
Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
42,971 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Virgin and Newcastle Airport

I heard it's because Richard Branson does not like geordies and there's too much fog on the Tyne.

It's probably not commercially viable to place aircraft at a small airport like NCL.

Remember Emirates use Dubai as a hub for many destination (Australia, the far east even South Africa) whereas Virgin would just re relying on point to point traffic.

North east england
Level Contributor
738 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Virgin and Newcastle Airport

Last year we travelled to San francisco, had to get to London Heathrow for flight to USA, because of flight times we had to stay overnight (night before departure) 1st NCL to LDN does not get you there in time to check in.

we stayed budget (premier Inn) but with flight costs from NCL to Heathrow then hotel it add ££ on.

Yes we probably could get the train to Manchester although I know a few people including my in-laws that have done this and they have said never again... what with large suitcases etc time delays on the trains.

Sorry for winging about this, It was more curiosity than anything, keep trying to find bargain holidays, but none with flights from NCL, I guess its time they expanded.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
67,625 posts
453 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Virgin and Newcastle Airport

You should try living where we are!

The nearest decent airport if you want to go anywhere that isn't Edinburgh or Amsterdam is Bristol, but we usually have to fly from Heathrow or Gatwick, and always do for long haul. This is understandable really, as airlines ar egoing to focus on the most profitable routes, and that usually means major airports serving large population catchment areas.

Geographically, I don't think Newcastle airport will ever be able to compete with the big boys. Although there a lot of people in the Tyne and Wear area, it is never going to tempt large numbers from West/South Yorkshire and Lancashire, and there is not a lot population wise to the north until you come to the central belt in Scotland, which has its own airports.

For us, the distance to a major airport invariably means a night in a hotel before the flight, which we treat as part of the holiday/break. Fortunately, we can usually find a hotel for a reasonable price, and by booking the rail tickets as soon as they are released, we normally travel as cheaply as it is possible to travel!

The trains can sometimes be delayed, but that is another advantage to staying overnight - ther eis much less stress in arriving at a hotel an hour or two late compared to worrying about missing your flight!

So, in conclusion, we have to factor in additional costs to any holiday we plan to take. We can't just rely on an advert or brochure price, there will always be add ons for us. But we view it as a price worth paying as we are very happy where we are otherwise!

Edited: 29 January 2013, 19:24
Ayr, Scotland
Level Contributor
2,700 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Virgin and Newcastle Airport

It's the same from Glasgow. We just get a connection or fly down to Gatwick night before to catch BA transatlantic connections. Many people I know will drive to Manchester for charter flights as flights are much cheaper from there too.

It's supply and demand.

Madrid
Level Contributor
3,290 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Virgin and Newcastle Airport

NCL runway has a length of 7641 feet compared to Manchesters runways which are both 10000 feet (one is only slightly longer than the other).

The runway is not the limiting factor at Newcastle,but an obstacle in the take off path for runway 25.East coast USA is well within available performance.Not sure about LAX.