We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

British Airways

Kingsbridge, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Topic
British Airways

Just to let you all know. Do not book with this airline if you can avoid it. Thye have just cancelled my family's flights to Dar es Salam for our summer holidays, offered us no help in finding an alternative route. kept hold our hard earned and not inconsiderable amount of money and are completely unconcerned about the fact that I seem to find this poor customer service. They do not care about you and neither does their chief executive who just passes emails onto his "customer service team". AVOID AVOID AVOID.

Canterbury, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: British Airways

I agree their customer service is appalling, to get a refund I had to take court action and wait 2 months for my money. Customer Services and their solicitors seem to be working in different countries!

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
1,017 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: British Airways

Shame you had a bad experience but BA are one of the worlds leading airlines and up there with the best in terms of service.

Canterbury, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: British Airways

Jimbo, we bought seats for extra legroom based on seating plan provided by BA. On day actual aircraft seating layout was different, this happened to others on plane as well. Cabin manager stated this happened a lot and stated no problem getting monies back which was a lie as I was refused a refund by Customer Relations. My headphones did not work, seat was dirty, tray kept falling. Cabin manager ended in shouting match with another customer over this issue, disgraceful.Offered upgrade on flight for more money on spot for more room but could not afford it so as OAP's sat in pain for 8 hrs. Took up to 4 weeks to reply to letters only court action got money back. I got the impression no one could give a t*ss.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
14,166 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: British Airways

"On day actual aircraft seating layout was different, this happened to others on plane as well."

Of course it happened to others on the plane, you were on the same plane! Aircraft changes can happen on any airline. If you paid extra for extra legroom seats and didn't get it I agree they should refund you. That said I find it odd that they wouldn't since it's explicitly covered by their own T&C. So either there was a major screw-up on BA's part or there's more to the story.

Canterbury, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: British Airways

Would you also like to give a sarcastic answer to.

1)Cabin Manager shouting at customer who complained.

2)Dirty seats

3)Defective equipment

4)Four weeks to reply to written letters

5)Over 2 months to get refund

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
8,143 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
36. Re: British Airways

Hi

In hundreds of flights I have only once seen a member of the crew shout at a passenger and that was the captain who came out of the cockpit to shout at the guy who travels on every flight everywhere and is up and down getting stuff out of his bag in the overhead regardless of seatbelt light. By the way he was on my flight the other day in seat 5D, not the guy who was shouted at but his identical twin brother.

Anyway my point is that crew rarely if ever shout, they are trained not to. So what was the run up to the incident with this other passenger.

I cannot imagine a dirty seat on a BA plane, can you expand on this description, was it sticky, dusty covered in sick or something else?

Again can you explain a little fuller about the defective equipment, did you have an emergency landing or the wheels fall off? Did the door have to be held together with string or perhaps the wing was hanging off? Or did your tray fall down once or twice because the clip didn't hold it securely?

So you got a reply within 28 days, well done. At least that's one compliment for them.

And your refund took two billing cycles to appear on your credit card, well you got it and this length of time does seem fairly common in the airline industry, don't altogether approve but that' tthe way it is. I take it the refund was for the difference you paid for extra legroom seats, not worth all this venom and anger.

BA is not my airline of choice for short haul through Europe but Transatlantic it seems to be one of the better operators.

I honestly don't think you have anything to complain about other than a change of equipment which can happen to any airline, at anytime, anywhere. They got you home safely and that is what really counts.

Jackie

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
14,166 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
37. Re: British Airways

"Would you also like to give a sarcastic answer to."

I'm not sure why you thought my answer was sarcastic, it certainly wasn't intended to be. As for your other. points, "shouting" and "dirty" can be pretty subjective term. I don't believe for a second that a FA shouted at a passenger who simply complained about something like defective IFE. So that's another one where I suspect there is more to the story. Defective equipment is unfortunate but is also something that can happen on every airline. BA will give you some Avios in compensation if you write them. 4 weeks to respond and 2 months to refund is what I'd consider pretty average in the industry.

London, United...
Level Contributor
816 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
38. Re: British Airways

I would agree that cabin crew should not shout at passengers......

I have experienced this myself unfortunately, several years ago on an American Airlines flight, JFK-LHR both myself and my husband were given frozen turkey and cheese rolls, unlucky me asked (politely I might add) if we could have replacements that weren't frozen...wow....I was almost screamed at, let alone shouted at.

She had her face right into mine and let me have it.....I was shocked and a little upset, went back to my seat to let my husband know that 'ALL THE ROLLS ARE FROZEN.'

I let it go, perhaps she'd had a bad day, perhaps I was the millionth passenger to ask the same question.

I do notice that there does seem to be a different 'culture' on American compared to BA.

One of the main reasons I fly BA is that the cabin crew and assorted other staff do have a sense of customer service, it may be that this is cultural.

A lot of the long haul fleet on BA is getting on a bit , new arrivals such as the A380, 787 and 777-300 will (hopefully) go a long way to improving reliability, new cabins also will improve the on board experience for those of us that fly BA. I am fond of the old seating but not the 'old' AVOD, the new Thales system knocks spots off it. Pity that the new seats give me 'cinema bum'..... ;-D

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
39. Re: British Airways

I don't believe for a second that a FA shouted at a passenger who simply complained about something like defective IFE

========

I know someone who was on a flight in first class where the stewardess tipped a whole bowl of vegetables over a passengers head when the passenger asked for more.

And you might recall that flight attendant who made an announcement along the lines that passengers should "go ****** themselves" over the announcement system, then deployed the emergency chute and left the plane on it?

Or, the Virgin attendant who started screaming "OMG we are all going to die" during turbulence" ?

So, of course they can sometimes just lose it Lex !

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
14,166 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
40. Re: British Airways

Anyone can lose it of course. It happens pretty rarely though.