We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

why i won't use opodo.co.uk ever again

Thessaloniki, Greece
8 posts
1 review
Save Topic
why i won't use opodo.co.uk ever again

Saturday 2 FEB 2013

Ryanair's website wasn't working properly, so i found another way to buy the ticket i wanted. I used www.opodo.co.uk. The charge was a bit more than the EUR 25.50 Ryanair wanted for the ticket, which I expected, and I'm glad there was a service available that allowed me to handle the transaction. What I've just discovered by reviewing my credit card statement and looking again at the opodo.co.uk confirmation email was the following in the fine print: "Please note that you may see a charge on your credit card statement from our partner, eDreams, who have processed the booking on behalf of Opodo." My statement showed EUR 25.50 going to Ryanair, EUR 14.36 going to Opodo.co.uk but also a mysterious charge of EUR 15.56 going to eDreams Limited Londres. The email itself showed a charge of GBP 20.73 (EUR 25.50) for the ticket and a booking fee of GBP 11.99 (EUR 14.36), but NOT the charge of GBP 13.41 (EUR 15.56) going to eDreams. It was the eDreams charge that puzzled me, which is what led me to the discovery quoted above. I suppose I'm lucky eDreams decided not to charge some other, higher, arbitrary amount. I find Opodo's business practice to reflect a gross lack of transparency akin to e-commerce theft. They fooled me this one time and not again. I'd rather walk than fly feeling duped.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
61. Re: why i won't use opodo.co.uk ever again

<<I am considering going back to the traditional travel agent after this.>>

Why wouldn't you just book direct with the airline?

<<However, to charge people for flights and not book them or, as in my case, to lie about flight availability is actually unfair trading and they are breaking the law.>>

Is it? Thats merely your interpretation of what unfair trading is.

What they would probably say is that with hundreds of thousands of flights changing in price constantly its impossible to keep in track with all of them without paying for very expensive real times services from the airline booking systems and they keep the price down by not doing that, for which the trade-off is, not all flights are available even if advertised.

They will also probably say this is all clearly explained in their Ts&Cs and you did tick the box to say you read and understood and agreed to those didn't you?

They will also probably say that many many other third parties operate in exactly the same way.

They will also probably say that despite the number of complaints its a tiny proportion of their overall customer base and they have millions of satisfied customers

They will also probably say that they don't have all the fares available to them that the airline does because they have access to only some fare classes and buckets, so just because its available from the airline doesn't mean you can buy it from Opodo.

They will also probably say this process is how they provide low fares. You agreed to this process. How is that unfair?

I'm not saying I agree with any of this in reality or think they are a good company, I'm just pointing out that its far from the slam dunk you believe it to be just because they advertise a price as "from £100" when actually its much more than that or because they take your fare request and then later say its not available.

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
8,147 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
62. Re: why i won't use opodo.co.uk ever again

It's Mr Marcoos!

Now whilst it is not illegal to not research where your money is going it is foolish. Going back to traditional travel agents is also just as foolish, you seem to be confusing package tours and flights. If an airline goes bust and your trip is not part of a package then you will whistle for your money whoever you book with, the most important part of the reservation is what you use to make your reservation, cash, bank transfer, debit card or credit card.

Now Aegean booked you on the wrong dates, now as long as you made this booking through a third party, ie on the phone directly with the airline or through Opodo or similar then this is possibly someone else's fault, if you did it on the Internet then you put in the wrong dates, computers only spew out what the operator puts in.

Next comparing Olympic airways with BA or Easyjet is like comparing a hostel for the homeless with the Ritz.

Use third parties if you must pay others to do something you are capable of only if you enjoy throwing money away.

Jackie

Watford, United...
Level Contributor
5,036 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
63. Re: why i won't use opodo.co.uk ever again

Thank you Jackie.... Yes the Mr. is very important - I'm old fashioned like that. I wouldn't call you just 34 (though I guess you may enjoy being called 34 occasionally : )

Yes for flights only always book via your credit card as this affords you the protection you require.

London, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
64. Re: why i won't use opodo.co.uk ever again

Jackie, where I have to fly to, sadly I have to deal with the likes of Olympic Airways. And the Aegean Airs of this world complicate their websites so that you can't see what dates you are booking for after you've made several searches. I have to be honest, I am not an IT geek so very easily deceived. Also, reading Joe in the UK's post, it is so complicated, it sounds like the consumer is in a jungle. The flights I saw on Opodo's own website 10 minutes after they booked me on. I don't think their internal system would show anything different to what is on their website. It sounds just too bad to be true. I will keep you posted with developments, as they have now asked for my details on Facebook and promised to resolve the issue.

65. Re: why i won't use opodo.co.uk ever again

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 04 December 2013, 17:35
UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
66. Re: why i won't use opodo.co.uk ever again

I now agree with your earlier post ComdNexus, you should go see a high st travel agency, it IS a jungle out there with third parties (which is why nearly everyone says book direct) and if you cannot cope with the simple thing of double checking dates before clicking 'buy' on an airlines website, then a high st travel agency is best for you.

I dont think you are capable of dealing with online bookings, or understanding the ramifications or simple things such as whats on a website doesnt always correspond to whats available in reality. It doesn't matter it was there ten minutes later after being told on the phone its not available, these guys dont update their website every 10 hours let alone 10 minutes. It may genuinely not be available.

London, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
67. Re: why i won't use opodo.co.uk ever again

They could say that, if it is the case, Joe :-). And if not, what happens if you try and book the flight that comes up and is actually not available? I think either way there is an issue there. And having read other people's complaints mine hardly is the worst....

Edited: 14 November 2013, 16:03
bridgnorth
Level Contributor
3,455 posts
Save Reply
68. Re: why i won't use opodo.co.uk ever again

Don't understand the comments about Aegean, their website is similar to the BA site and certainly easier to use than KLM or Air France. Olympic ( now amalgamating with Aegean) haven't flown out of the UK for 2/3 years. I've flown Heathrow - Athens ,without any problems, with Aegean , Olympic (when they covered the route) and BA. All comfortable enough in economy .

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
69. Re: why i won't use opodo.co.uk ever again

<<And if not, what happens if you try and book the flight that comes up and is actually not available?>>

errmmmm .... its not available!!! :-)

You seem to think you can force them to sell you something just because there are some words about it on their web page. Ain't gonna happen. Take a look at their Ts&Cs its got more get outs in it than a colander that's been in a clay pigeon shoot and some are there for good reason, they are a third party so its an indirect relationship, they genuinely may not be able to sell you those flights (though I'm sure with them there is more than an element of bait and switch but that's neither here nor there in the general case)

Even a good third party can have this problem. You want to have your cake and eat it, get all the benefits of low prices (assuming you imagine this is what they provide) but none of the downsides, such as delays between purchase and confirmation.

<<I think either way there is an issue there. And having read other people's complaints mine hardly is the worst....>>

Indeed. And, "so what" - it doesn't take a rocket scientist to discern they are a shoddy bunch of incompetents..

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
8,147 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
70. Re: why i won't use opodo.co.uk ever again

Hi

I do feel sorry for you, Opodo have conned you and there is absolutely nothing you can do about it.

If you read the small print with these online booking agencies they basically tell you that the flights, prices and routes may or may not be available and whatever the problem they will hang onto your money because it isn't their fault. You are bu**ered at every turn.

Now I do see from your post that you might have a little difficulty with knowing how to make a booking yourself but you've posted on here with no problems so you do know a bit about computers.

Give it a go next time and book direct, maybe come on here and ask for tips. At least then you will know you have got the dates right and you won't be paying extra for someone else to muck it up.

Jackie