We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Connecting flights to vegas

Grimsby, United...
3 posts
Save Topic
Connecting flights to vegas

Hi guys,

Me and my wife are travelling from Birmingham(UK) to Vegas via Amsterdam and Minneapolis (cheaper than the direct flights). just wondering the procedure regarding collecting luggage and customs at the change over airports. 1st time using connecting flights....

Any advice would be much appreciated

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
28,218 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Connecting flights to vegas

Assuming all flights are on the same ticket (and that route looks like it) ...

Your bags will be checked through to Vegas (LAS). However, as you have to clear US Immigration and Customs at your first point of entry (Minneapolis MSP), you will have to collect them there. Once you're through customs you immediately hand them back to a baggage agent, then clear security and proceed to your gate.

You won't have to collect the bags anywhere else. If flying back the same route, you won't need to collect your bags until you arrive back at Birmingham (BHX).

Edited: 03 February 2013, 09:22
Grimsby, United...
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Connecting flights to vegas

Thanks, that's put my mind at rest. Had visions of running around like a headless chicken, picking up bags, dropping of bags.

Madrid
Level Contributor
3,201 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Connecting flights to vegas

You will also need to clear US immigration at MSP.With a British passport I never take a connection with less than 3 hours for this.

Coventry, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Connecting flights to vegas

Hi. We are flying from London Heathrow to Seatle and then onto vegas (with same airline. We only have 1hr 10mins to get off heathrow flight n get on vegas flight at seatle. Is this enough time? Holiday Co seems to think it is. Any views on this please. Many thanks 😊

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
59,654 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Connecting flights to vegas

I don't think that is enough time in Seattle! You will have to go through immigration,wait for your bags, go through customs, drop off your bags and probably need to also go through security again before you go on to your connecting flight.

As a USA citizen who only travels with carryon luggage I like to allow 2hrs. to get this done.

For you I'd suggest closer to 3hrs. just in case!

Coventry, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Connecting flights to vegas

Thank you for your help. We had 2.75 hours but airline has changed our flights and we now only have 1hr 10 mins 😔 Now we have your information we will contact them on Monday to change the flights to alternatived 😊

Southampton, United...
8 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Connecting flights to vegas

I would be really interested to know if you had any luck changing your flights. I have the same issue in that Delta cancelled our original booking and we now only have 1hr 9 mins before our connecting flight at Seattle. They have flatly refused to change it saying it is feasible to make the connection.

Norfolk England
Level Contributor
5,825 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Connecting flights to vegas

Hi

Sorry to say I would not expect to do a connection in that short time. I have missed a connection in the past because of too short time allowed, learn't the hard way. You will be put on the next flight with available seats. As it's to LAS the chances that there are quite a few a day should be helpful.

Clive

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
16,638 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Connecting flights to vegas

Leejo1964: Sometimes people don't follow their previous posts or comments. If you want to directly ask a question to a member, click on their screen name and then click send message.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
888 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Connecting flights to vegas

Leejo, Delta is right that you could make that connection if you are lucky. However it is pretty risky. I'd try again asking them until they come up with a better plan. If you've tried the UK delta number (which in my experience normally directs you to an AF service centre), you could try calling the US delta number instead (use Skype so it is free: 800-221-1212).

If you haven't already done so, log on to delta.com with your PNR and see if it gives you the option to change online. Normally after a schedule change it'll be highlighted on your itinerary and might give alternatives.

Delta have a whole bunch of flights from SEA to LAS, so you should be able to get a later flight (I assume you are arriving on the new Delta LHR-SEA service). The SEA to LAS flight leaving at 6:40pm would give you about 4 hours in to connect.