We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sunwing Vacations... The bad experience goes on...

Parry Sound, Canada
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Sunwing Vacations... The bad experience goes on...

My wife and I had a week's "vacation" with 2 of our friends in Cabo San Lucas, Mexico in early November 2012. When arriving in Mexico we discovered that our luggage did not arrive with us. We filed a mishandled baggage report and were advised we should have our luggage within 24 hours. We got to our resort, the Riu Santa Fe, and the Sunwing reps advised us they would call us when our luggage arrived and that they would check into the status for us. We got the impression that the Sunwing reps said what they were supposed to say but that they didn't really care and we didn't feel like we were in capable hands.

The next morning, we went down to check on the status of our luggage and the Sunwing reps had no answers for us and were extremely unhelpful. We got the impression that their only job was to give us the $50/bag/day as lost luggage compensation, and they had no interest in really doing much more other than trying to sell us tours. At this point I decided to contact my mother, who I found out had already heard from the Lost Luggage Department at Pearson International Airport. They had found our luggage but no tags were on either pieces of luggage, so they didn't know where it was supposed to go. It was clear that upon check-in, the Sunwing staff did not properly attach the tags (or possibly didn’t attach them at all) to our luggage. I gave my mother all of our flight information and asked her to contact Sunwing in Toronto on our behalf. By the time Sunwing got our luggage, they were unable to get our luggage to us before returning to Toronto. So, we spent the entire vacation without our luggage.

Prior to this, we continued to receive the same unhelpful service from the Sunwing reps at the Riu Sante Fe. They never once found out any information about our luggage. At one point they even said that on Saturday and Sunday they most likely wouldn't hear anything about our luggage, insinuating that the airport would be closed on a weekend!

What started out as Sunwing just losing our luggage, still continues to be a customer service nightmare. Not only were the Sunwing staff in Mexico horrible to deal with, but upon our return I filed a complaint with the customer service department only to find that the experience was just as bad here. After many emails back and forth with a Sunwing Baggage Coordinator, I finally filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. The Sunwing Baggage Coordinator flat out ignored numerous requests for her supervisor's contact information and offered a measly amount of compensation compared to what we spent on our vacation.

The lost luggage was an error that was solely Sunwing's... If we had had a good experience with Sunwing on our vacation even after they lost the luggage, we probably wouldn't have bothered filing a complaint upon returning home. The fact that the bad experience continues after 3 months just baffles me.

Has anyone actually had a good customer experience with Sunwing, if something when wrong on their vacation? Has anyone else gone through a similar experience but had better service, or is Sunwing's customer service bad in general?

I am hoping that my complaint with the Better Business Bureau will resolve the issue, but I'd love to hear from anyone about either a good or bad experience they had with Sunwing.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sunwing Vacations... The bad experience goes on...

It was clear that upon check-in, the Sunwing staff did not properly attach the tags (or possibly didn’t attach them at all) to our luggage

=======

Surely you were there and watched them add them?

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
13,598 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sunwing Vacations... The bad experience goes on...

It's not clear to me what your complaint is. How could Sunwing have located your bags in less than 24 hours if the tags were of? How does the bad experience continue 3 months later? How is it clear that the tags were improperly attached to your bags?

Santa Rosa Beach...
Destination Expert
for Negril
Level Contributor
3,488 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sunwing Vacations... The bad experience goes on...

When we check our luggage, we watch and make sure our bags are tagged plus we have our own ID's attached, maybe it was due to rough handling.....??

We also always have a small carryon just in case....

Edited: 04 February 2013, 14:38
Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
8,263 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sunwing Vacations... The bad experience goes on...

That's why I always put contact details (home address and hotel) and all flight details in the outside pocket of my suitcases. Luggage labels do come off, get caught in machinery etc. These things just happen.

If you add all you flight and hotel details it can speed up the arrival of any delayed luggage. I also check to see the label is put on my case and the correct airport code. Sometimes we all need to be a little proactive.

A hard lesson to learn but in future follow the above and it may lessen any mistakes.

Good luck with you claim.

Parry Sound, Canada
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sunwing Vacations... The bad experience goes on...

I don't recall specifically watching them adhere the tags. I've been on 80+ flights for various vacations and have never had this happen. I guess I always assume people are doing the job they are getting paid to do... I will definitely be taking a more proactive approach from now on.

Parry Sound, Canada
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sunwing Vacations... The bad experience goes on...

Sunwing did not locate our bags. The airport contacted my office when they found our luggage without tags (I had put a business card in the contact slot of our suitcases). My mom then contacted the appropriate people at Sunwing, but they could not get our luggage to us before we left.

Quebec City
Level Contributor
618 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sunwing Vacations... The bad experience goes on...

I am curious what you thought the Mexico Sunwing staff could do about your luggage apparently left behind in Toronto? If they had lost their tags, surely you didn't expect the luggage to magically appear and be identified as yours, and be sent off to Mexico?

All airlines/airport can lose luggage. It happens. It's not pleasant, but it happens. I also always make sure to look at the airport code on the tag that is attached to my checked bag, to confirm it is tagged to the correct destination. And sometimes airport personnel may still make mistakes and put the bag in the wrong place, or the tags can get caught in a conveyor belt and be removed by accident.

Have your bags been returned to you? Do you have all your belongings back? I don't think any other airline would've done much better, if the bags had lost their tags, since you were gone for only a week. Don't all airlines have some kind of disclaimer that bags are not lost until something like 21 days, and that in the mean time they are misplaced? If they manage to get them back to you, they've done what they could.

Canada
Level Contributor
4,783 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sunwing Vacations... The bad experience goes on...

I would be annoyed if that happened, for sure - but I'm not sure what else you can do? What was the "measly amount of compensation"?, and does it fall within the parameters of Sunwings terms and conditions (or any other legislation that pertains to lost luggage - I am by no means an expert in this field:)

If it does then you're done and dusted. If it doesn't than carry on the discussion with Sunwing and don't let it ruin your life.

How was the vacation? - did you manage to find replacement clothing?

...and good luck with the BBB - I have never found them a particularly receptive or helpful organization.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sunwing Vacations... The bad experience goes on...

I don't recall specifically watching them adhere the tags.

=====

I always watch, you are right there, they are sticking them on right in front of you, its the obvious thing to do, indeed you'd actually have to deliberately look away in order not to see them put them on !!

Its also quite possible of course that the tags were torn off later in the machinery.

I hold no brief for Sunwing, but you appear to be blaming them for something that may have had nothing to do with them, luggage handling is in the care of the airport. And given the time to get stuff to happen it may well have been impractical to expect them to get your luggage to you by the time it was tracked down..

You say they were "unhelpful" is that code for "were not able to magically find where your luggage was" ?

How exactly did you expect them to find it? Given it had no sunwing labels on it, the airport would have no way of determining which destination or airline it should go to and everything flows from that. Y'u don't seem to have put your destination address on it on your own label, soemthing I always do, seems obvous??

As to them not being able to get it to you on time, you don't say how long you were away for, but if it was a week, that sounds reasonable if several days had already elapsed by the time it was tracked down.

Your post is also full of supposition;

"The lost luggage was an error that was solely Sunwing's",

- you dont know that at all

" it was clear that upon check-in, the Sunwing staff did not properly attach the tags"

- you dont know that either

"they even said that on Saturday and Sunday they most likely wouldn't hear anything about our luggage, insinuating that the airport would be closed on a weekend! "

- no that insinuates that their experience is that that lost lugagge OFFICE in the airport is not open at weekends (or not responsive)

"The Sunwing Baggage Coordinator flat out ignored numerous requests for her supervisor's contact information"

- and what wouldyou have done with that? Were you expecting her to go look personally at the airport?

" and offered a measly amount of compensation compared to what we spent on our vacation."

- thats what travel insurance is for. Why didnt you use that?

"Prior to this, we continued to receive the same unhelpful service from the Sunwing reps at the Riu Sante Fe. They never once found out any information about our luggage"

-- So? Of course not, it didnt have sunwing labels on it, so why did you expect that?

Essentially your whole rant is a tale of unwarranted assumptions and unrealistic expectations.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
13,598 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sunwing Vacations... The bad experience goes on...

"Sunwing did not locate our bags."

I get that. Given the timeline, however, I don't get why you are upset about this. As I read your post, you arrived and located your bags the next morning (in Toronto). Depending on when exactly you arrived, that leaves very little time for the airline to do anything.