We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Asking that the drunk passengers be cut off?

Shawnigan Lake...
Level Contributor
5,494 posts
119 reviews
Save Topic
Asking that the drunk passengers be cut off?

I fly a lot for business and pleasure, Sunday night I was flying from Punta Cana to Toronto on Air Canada 10 PM flight.

I had the aisle seat and a husband wife team entered the plane as I stood up to let them sit, the woman slurred at me, "You got the unlucky seat next to us"

I smiled and replied I would be sleeping before too long. She slurred something to the effect I shouldn't count on that and her husband quickly sat her down.

My co-worker was sitting in the aisle seat across from me and we both exchanged looks.

Before the flight could even start the F and C bombs were being dropped by both of them. Seems she hates AC and hates her husband for booking them on AC. I must admit that AC has not always been my favourite air line but would never drop a F or C word to describe them,.

Once in the air, they ordered 2 sparkling wines and 2 vodkas with clamato juice.....the slurring proceeded to get louder and slurrier HA

The man kept asking me to get up so he could use the restroom....I started counting after awhile and he was up and down at least 6 more times.

After four more vodkas and two more sparkling wines, I was getting pretty upset with the F and C's being tossed around not to mention the bottles that were falling off of their trays. According to her the pilot was weaving in the air in purpose to cause that to happen.

I quietly went to the back and asked the flight attendent to keep her eye on them, that they were drunk and fighting. The plane was full otherwise I would have moved. I suggested that they might consider cutting them off, they had had 8 drinks in 2 hours between them,

About 5 mins after I sat down, they ordered more drinks and the flight attendent did indeed cut them off, actually she told them they would have to wait an hour as we had only been in the air for 1.45 mins and they had been drinking quite a bit.

To my relief the woman moaned and complained then passed out for the last two hours of the flight.

Longest four and half hour flight ever HA!

Has anyone else ever had to ask that a fellow passanger be cut off from the alcohol cart?

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Asking that the drunk passengers be cut off?

yep...a couple of times and the crew has been more than compliant.

i think it may be hard for the crew to notice these things when they are on the run.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
10,857 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Asking that the drunk passengers be cut off?

I am surprised they could get enough service to even get that many drinks.

Sounds like a very unpleasant flight.

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
20,534 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Asking that the drunk passengers be cut off?

An unpleasant experience but well done for dealing with it properly.

Shawnigan Lake...
Level Contributor
5,494 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Asking that the drunk passengers be cut off?

Thank you :)

The flight itself (despite the inflight entertainment) was great :)

Flight Attendents were all working very hard as it was a full flight. After I spoke out they all made sure to walk by and I knew they were keeping their eye on the couple and making sure I was ok.

They ordered 4 drinks the first time and 6 drinks the second go round...then I went to speak to someone.

I have never been in that sitution despite my years of flying and wondered how what others would have done?

The funny part was that I wanted to and had full intentions of ordering a glass of red wine to go with my cheese and crackers (after a week at the Melia AI in Punta Cana I NEEDED a glass of red wine that was not utter swill that Melia served) but after being slurred at and then hearing the first drink order I decided that ginger ale would be a better choice >;D

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,131 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Asking that the drunk passengers be cut off?

You have my sympathy.

My two worst nightmares when flying - being seated next to a screaming baby or a voluble drunk. The drunk is worse!

I'm very surprised that the FAs served them more than one drink at a time.

Canada
Level Contributor
4,991 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Asking that the drunk passengers be cut off?

I cannot believe they dished out that much booze....when I fly to London I feel bad asking for my G and T, plus two wines with dinner.

Sunshine Coast...
Level Contributor
2,823 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Asking that the drunk passengers be cut off?

I'm surprised that they were served 6 drinks at a time. I am assuming that is 3 drinks each? I have seen people order 2 drinks at a time which considering how long it takes to be served is not really excessive but 3 drinks? Perhaps the FA thought that the extra 2 were for you?

On most of my long haul flights the alcohol is free and so getting 6 drinks in one order would be impossible. Funny that having free alcohol would probably have limited how much these people could drink.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
2,329 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Asking that the drunk passengers be cut off?

Well done for being assertive and handling the situation so calmly. Also, great that the crew were so compliant.

Can't believe the crew were happy to serve them so much booze at one time, though. Wow.

Buckinghamshire...
Level Contributor
3,095 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Asking that the drunk passengers be cut off?

I remember arriving at Luxor airport. There was a man lying face down in the middle of a busy round about. I thought to myself, I feel sorry for the people he will need to sit next to on his flight .....

Anyway we're sat in our seats and Mr roundabout gets on, and is blatantly drunk. Surprised they let him on. You can see the terror on the plane of all the people who have a vacant seat next to them .... including me! Eek!

Luckily we had good FA's they moved a couple of people and then sat this guy all on his own at the back. Despite this when the drinks came round I heard him being refused drinks and he got quite verbal. The FA's stood their ground and he fell asleep. Ont he way off I heard him apologising to the staff.

Still have no idea why they let him on in the first place!

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
15,330 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Asking that the drunk passengers be cut off?

<<<<<They ordered 4 drinks the first time and 6 drinks the second go round...then I went to speak to someone.

>>>>>>

I am reasonably sure this would be against the rules on Aus airlines. I have seen FAs flatly turn down multiple orders on Virgin Aus.