We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dublin-Toronto-St.John's..1 hr 15 in TO

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
196 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Dublin-Toronto-St.John's..1 hr 15 in TO

My AC flight had a schedule change and there is now only 1hr 15 connection time in Toronto. It is on one ticket and I assume bags are checked through. It is booked directly with the airline. AC states that this is the minimum connection time for this scenario.

Do I bother to call and try to change or quit worrying?

It is just hubby and I traveling and we are experienced travelers. We are Canadians.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks so much.

MC

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
Level Contributor
8,916 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dublin-Toronto-St.John's..1 hr 15 in TO

Be sure what your back-up is and then go for it. Probably not much you can do anyway. I bet it feels strange to fly to TO and then go almost half way back to the UK. You could call AC but look first at the length of time until the next flight.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Dublin-Toronto-St.John's..1 hr 15 in TO

Bags should be tagged through to St. John's but in Toronto you will need to claim them at customs, then drop them back off again on the connecting baggage belt after you leave the customs hall.

Two things you can do:

- Try to sweet talk the agent in Dublin into Priority tags for your bags, given the changes to the itinerary that made your connection so tight.

- When you arrive at the immigration/customs area, there may be a shorter line for connecting passengers. Look purple signage or ask a member of airport staff (there will be several of them managing lines).

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
39,772 posts
815 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dublin-Toronto-St.John's..1 hr 15 in TO

Won't work. Done this often enough to know.

As said above, even though your bags are checked through, you need to pick them up to pass customs then you put them back on the belt. They need to be on the belt at least 30 minutes before the departure of the flight. That leaves you 45 minutes to get off the plane, walk (long walk) to immigration.

Immigration wait depends on how many flights are coming in. Yes there is a shorter line for transfers but that is not the problem. I have a Nexus card which means I do not have to stand in line but I still never made such a tight transfer (even with 90 minutes) because the luggage does not show up quickly enough. Having your bags tagged priority may help but they usually do not bother with this much at the airport.

Edited: 06 February 2013, 04:15
Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
196 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dublin-Toronto-St.John's..1 hr 15 in TO

Thanks for the replies - I had feared that is probably isn't possible. the original connection time was 1h 50 mins which I thought we could do after researching. But I'm pretty sure we won't make the 1h 15.

So, I will call AC and see what can be done - there is another flight to St. John's about 2 hours later so I'm hoping they can switch me to that - glad I took the advice from lurking on this forum and booked with the airline so this shouldn't be too painful if indeed possible.

And yes Geomedic - drives me crazy to have to connect in Toronto and then turn around and fly back to Newfoundland! But, seems that is always the way it works.

thanks all.

MC

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
1,280 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Dublin-Toronto-St.John's..1 hr 15 in TO

"drives me crazy to have to connect in Toronto and then turn around and fly back to Newfoundland!"

At least you'll get a few bonus Aeroplan miles out of it!

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
196 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dublin-Toronto-St.John's..1 hr 15 in TO

Good point!

Thanks for that silver lining LeicsLad (I'm originally from Leics by the way)

MC

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
196 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dublin-Toronto-St.John's..1 hr 15 in TO

Thanks to the advice here and confirming that my gut said we wouldn't make it. It was easily fixed with a call to AC who changed me with no charge or hassle to the next flight so we now have a connection time of 3 hours.

An easy fix and one that I'm glad we made now rather than scrambling to do it at the airport after a long day of traveling.

Just gives us more time to enjoy that last refreshing beverage of vacation :)

Thanks to all - for the advice here and the continued advice over the years to book directly with the airline - in this case, it cost me about $20 dollars more but it has already paid for itself with this quick and easy change.

Cheers!

MC

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
1,280 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Dublin-Toronto-St.John's..1 hr 15 in TO

Have a great trip. Glad it got sorted.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Dublin-Toronto-St.John's..1 hr 15 in TO

Yes, that's ideal. Not only did you avoid a possible scramble, you've got reserved seats on that later flight rather than having to worry they might not be able to fit you on.

For killing time, there's an excellent (for an airport) bookstore in the Terminal One domestic gate area just past security, plus lots of beverage options.

Winnipeg Canada
Destination Expert
for Winnipeg
Level Contributor
4,466 posts
429 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dublin-Toronto-St.John's..1 hr 15 in TO

I had a custom stop in Toronto going on to Winnipeg. And missed my connecting flight but AC just put me on the next flight.