We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anyone have a new-style UK e-passport?

London, United...
Level Contributor
867 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Anyone have a new-style UK e-passport?

I've just received my new e-passport, and nearly sent it back for being faulty.

I renewed it early because the photo in my old passport (taken and printed by myself) was very faded. The photo in my new one is worse, I can barely make it out.

When I saw the page opposite the identity details, I thought someone had left some wet printing across the page.

Honestly, it just looks a complete mess. However, a did a search on images, and apparently it's supposed to look like that. Who on earth designed it, and how much were they paid?

It seems that the microchip in the passport contains a "proper" photograph - but I'm still not convinced I'll get out of the country and into another one with it.

64 replies to this topic
Somerset, UK
Level Contributor
489 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Anyone have a new-style UK e-passport?

I've had my new e-passport since October. It's great for using the automatic gates at immigration at Heathrow and Gatwick. No queues - at least when I've been there.

London, United...
Level Contributor
867 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Anyone have a new-style UK e-passport?

Thanks for the replies; I'm a lot less worried about it now. My wife has an old non e-passport, so I assume I can just go down the old style queues with her.

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
Level Contributor
17,572 posts
280 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Anyone have a new-style UK e-passport?

Yes you can still go through the old style passport queues. My girlfriend still has an old passport so I always queue with her.

Buckinghamshire...
Level Contributor
3,039 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Anyone have a new-style UK e-passport?

Before I got my new passport I always had to queue as normal and husband would go in what is suppose to be the fast track queue. Even though my line is usually double his, I always get through first and have to wait.

I guess it depends on the day, time and how many desks are open.

Southport, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: Anyone have a new-style UK e-passport?

The new passport is totally unfit for purpose must have been designed by idiots who never travel .

I obtained a new design passport on the 24th March 2012- on the 12th November 2012 I had to get a replacement. Why because it was damaged . The page with the photograph is laminated on side only so even the slightest drop of water on that page will damage the photograph because the laminate stops the moisture going straight through and being relatively harmless-it spreads all across the page. I had taken great care to protect the passport purchasing a substantial wallet to keep it in. Unfortunately a drop of rain somehow managed to land on the edge of that page when it was in the wallet in my anorak pocket when I was going to the bank in the UK who needed the passport. It does somestimes rain in this country and sometimes quite hard-also some of us still have to walk in the rain to get public transport. As I result of this I was refused boarding with Emirates even though the rest of the passport including the digital photo were untouched. Emirates were unhelpful it was Sunday eveything closed. Liverpool passport office were marvellous the new passport was issued within 2hours without making an appointment, however the so called help line had said that visitors were only seen with a previous appointment and that it normally took a week to reissue a damaged passport- some helpline some advise. Emirates rather than assisting seem to think this was an opportunity to make money and I was charged £350 to modify the ticket although the original cost of the return flight was only £550. the replacement passport cost c£140 so the drop of rain cost me over £500 in total. Some organisations were helpful the Liverpool passport office great friendly people- the Thai Consulate in Liverpool transfered the visa from the old to the new passport free and stayed open late to do it which I found very pleasant all the hassle and lack of help from the likes of Emirates. The UK passport is the only pasport issued as far as i am aware that is laminated one side the Irish and USA passports are laminated both sides and as a result the photograph cannot get damaged. Now I keep the passport inside a small plastic sealed bag inside a plastic wallet-double protection.

Obviously issuing passports is good business no wonder it was privatised.

I have in front of me a passport issued in 1968 a much more robust document suitable for a real traveller

Llandudno North...
Level Contributor
2,584 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Anyone have a new-style UK e-passport?

Wow what a rant. No paragraphs so I got a headache and gave up.

Anyway answer is, don't like it then don't travel.

Simple

:-)

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
32,818 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Anyone have a new-style UK e-passport?

That's a hell of a paragraph!

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
34,841 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Anyone have a new-style UK e-passport?

Plus it's all rubbish...the photo page is laminated on both sides

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Anyone have a new-style UK e-passport?

Tilly, I've just checked mine, new style, it is only laminated on one side.

FWIW I've read so many reports here about people damaging theirs with liquid accidentally that I now keep mine in a ziplock plastic bag inside the little travel wallet it normally "lives in".

I didn't bother to read the OPs rant, too difficult. I gather they were careless with it ?

20. Re: Anyone have a new-style UK e-passport?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 16 May 2013, 17:45

Reply to: Anyone have a new-style UK e-passport?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted