We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Etihad

Deal, United Kingdom
8 posts
Save Topic
Etihad

Hello, We are returning to Heathrow with Etihad from Bangkok. I requested the travel agent to change flight to next day to allow us an extra day in Bangkok and was quoted £400 each for the privilege! I was advised to wait until i travelled and then to contact the airline direct who may be able to help me. Has anyone ever done this and what was the cost? Thanks in advance.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
10,857 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Etihad

Well, yes. You have to pay a change fee and then any difference in fare for most nonrefundable tickets if you want to change your flights. Since no one here knows the terms and conditions of your ticket, I am not sure what anyone can tell you.

IMO, it is better to make any changes now, as what you want may not be available later. You may want to call the airline now to see what the charge would be.

Deal, United Kingdom
8 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Etihad

Thanks for your reply. I did contact the airline and they told me they could not help as Travel agent responsible for changes. The Airline will only be able to help after We arrived in Bangkok. Wish they would over book my flight therefore have to change my flight!

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
10,857 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Etihad

Keep your fingers crossed!

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
946 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Etihad

As gracie-boo says, this is the change fee plus the difference in fare. Hence any emperical evidence of amounts people have had to pay to change their dates has no corelation to the amount you may have to pay.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
2,329 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Etihad

Only you can decide if it's worth it financially, but having to pay often large amounts of money for an extra day or two is not uncommon. Either pay it before departure or leave it up to chance during your trip.

Nannup, Australia
Level Contributor
3,652 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Etihad

Without knowing the specifics of your booking it is hard to be definitive, but if I were you I'd go back to the travel agent and ask for a breakdown of the 400 pounds. I just looked at a dummy booking using the cheapest fare LHR-BKK return and the biggest change fee I could find was 135 pounds. So ask your agent: how much of the 400 pounds is the airline change fee; how much is the price differential for your new flight (if any) and how much is the agency fee? I have no problem with an agency charging a small fee as they have to do extra work, but 'small' is the operative word for a simple date change.

Your agency doesn't have the initials F and C by chance?

7. Re: Etihad

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 February 2014, 05:18